What's the secret????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dtelawncare, Mar 11, 2006.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I have been using my Exmark for about 5 months. I have gotten a good grasp on all the handling of the machine, but I can't figure out how to prevent the tear marks on the turkf when turning. I have been using my own lawn as a test field so to speak. I know the weight is a major factor, but there must be a secret to NOT tearing up the turf. Any and all info and tips would greatly be appeciated.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

use a K shaped turn, keep both wheels moving...and SLOWDOWN. hahahh :)

3. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks Dave. I have been slowing down and trying different methods. I guess I will have to practice a lot more. I ahve noticed it is almost impossible in a thin lawn.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I usually do the racetrack pattern because it smooths out the turns a lot. That, and I slow down in the turns, my Wb will stand on 2 wheels if I take a turn at full speed. With the racetrack pattern, most of your turns will be in the 90-degree range: this saves a lot of time compared to 180-degree turns and it's a lot easier on the turf, but...

The other thing I do (like when I feel like striping) is do a mushroom-cloud turn. Hard to describe exactly but you turn OUT and then turn around so you're actually making a wider turn. If you were to turn to your right, you would turn a little bit left first, and then make a wide right circle, then turn left a little to straighten out again.

Last but not least, keep the inside tire moving: don't do turns on a dime.

T-bar :rolleyes:

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

What's a k shaped turn is it a 3 point turn.

6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

just basically turn around half way and then reverse a little so your not on the same spot of grass and complete the turn..

7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever mowed like a Zamboni?:laugh:

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

"What's the secret???? "

I could tell you but than-----:laugh:

The secret for tearing is the same as the secret making profit compared to this being a hobby and the same as being able to mow on hills.

Hydro!:hammerhead:

9. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Mushroom head turn:hammerhead:

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I turn like a Y:headphones: