What's the shelf life of dursban?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MATTHEW, Feb 24, 2002.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Found a couple of gallons of Dursban that I should use up. I think it is about 2-3 years old. Does anyone know the shelf life of it?
  2. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

...ask these guys, they should know. Warne Chemical in Rapid City, SD. Ask for Vic. 1-800-658-5457
  3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I may be mistaken, but I beleive that as of Jan 1, Dursban can no longer be used for most applications. I know it has been taken off the market, but I think we are now to the point where we can't use it at all.

If someone knows about this for sure, please post

4. NebraskaTurf

NebraskaTurf LawnSite Member

As of Jan 1. Dursban can no longer be sold by suppliers, but any Dursban in the hands of lawn care companies can be used.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dursban is still avaible for golf course turf and termite applicators, however it no longer sold for horticulture or structural pest control. If you have it in a container labeled for turf or structural you may use it up.

Modern pesticide is a rather a new science starting about World War II with DDT. As technology progresses safer chemicals have been formulated and older chemicals have been banned. Dursban was one of the most widely used pesticides and it is no longer as effective as it once was. The Manufactures were willing to comply with the E.P.A. wishes because of this. As science progresses we will see more and more pesticides coming off the market in favor of biological controls, however pesticides are here to stay for a least the next couple of hundred years until biological controls are perfected.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Three year old Dursban is still OK.
    Dursban lasted 10+ years in the Federal Termite tests down in Mississippi after it was soil applied, so yours will still work.
  7. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

I gave the last of our dursban away. We didnt use it much ayways. plus, my employer cannot be near the stuff-he is highly allergic to it.