What's the smoothest....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

What's the smoothest mower on the market? I'm tired of getting bounced off the mower on some of my accounts. Mowing 5 acres and double cutting while bpumnig and bouncing all over. So, what mower should I buy for a smooth ride? Currently using Toro Z with Suspension seat.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Hustler Super Z (Z) because of the ride. Put 8-9 lbs of air in the tires and it rides great with the suspension seat. Put the optional flex forks on and it rides even better but it takes a little getting used to. It will still bounce some but not jar. Take a test drive. The Ferris with full suspension is supose to do good but I've never been on one. Not sure if it would do as well on slopes as the Hustler.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

All full size ZTR's will ride the same with proper tire pressures. (given the tires are the same size)

But Tacoma is right, the Hustler Flex forks are your answer to a smooth ride.

Try dropping your caster tires down to 8psi first though. I see too many guys running 20psi in their tires because thats what the sidewalls say!

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the companies like Exmark, Scag, and I think Toro have the semi-pneumatic front tires which are rougher than air filled tires. I guess that's why my new Exmark rides rougher than my first and why the Hustler seems smoother. Seems like the Hustler has longer wheel base but not sure. Feels longer. Anyway the semi-pneumatic tires may be good for flats but definately don't help the ride. I'll take air filled with a little slime added for flats. 8 psi like TLS says and careful hopping curbs.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah when I walk the yard and I see the ruts and moguls or by looking at it I can tell it's fit for a tractor (and I mean a tractor), I don't service those off-road horse pasture dang 4-wd dirtbike obstacle courses with my finish mower no more. Of course every lawn has bumps, there's no such thing as a parking lot finish lawn, but some of this bs I see is just ridiculous too.

Two got me this year, real funny I didn't get to look at the backyard right but that's ok because first time they fool me is the last time.

Thou the large lots, well you just gotta slow down some in parts, way I see it.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

There has to be someone out there cruisin around on the smoothest Z in the world. Come on Ferris owners, does the "IS" really work?

7. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Well i just got done with my demo of a ferris 3100 and ended up buying because of the ride, I think my deere has just a little better cut than the ferris but hands down the ferris is the smoothest riding mower i have ever ben on.

Steve

8. spin

spin LawnSite Member

Demo one for yourself! You will be pleasantly surprised. I, like Potomac bought one after the demo. You will still have to slow down a little in the roughest spots, but for the most part it is full bore. Not a magic carpet ride, but definatly takes the edge off!

9. ztrguy

from NE FL

Looking forward to the EXPO!!! I'm going to find the smoothest ride!

10. gamble77

gamble77 LawnSite Member
    from GA

GrassHopper. Obviously the smoothest ridding is going to be a frontmount, but GrassHopper's mid-mounts are the smoothest I have ever been on. I have rode them all. GrassHopper uses a two piece ISO mounted frame with ISO mounts practically everywhere on the machine so there is hardly any vibration transferred to the driver. Plust their standard seats are better than competitors suspension seats. The Hustler Super Z's with flex forks do very well also.