1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the standard for commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cimarron Landscape, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

Just got a call for my first commercial mowing account. Unless I totally blow the bid, I've landed the job. It's a semi run-down bank on a 1/2 acre of turf.

I will be:
    Edging (not much, 400 linear feet total. 5 minutes max.)
    Blowing. (Quite a bit considering the parking lot.)
    Clipping 140 linear feet of hedge, once/month.

I am going to offer weed control in the parking lot, applied 1/month max, or when needed.
    There are 16 crepe myrtles and I'm going to offer to clip them late winter. I'm thinking I might do this as a separate charge, not sure.

It will be mowed twice/month.

I'm thinking somewhere in the vicinity of $200/month with a year contract, including all above mentioned except the crepe myrtles.

Is this reasonable or am I way out of line?
    For the same size yard on residential I would charge $100/ month, but after considering the blowing, trash pick up, etc. $200 seems reasonable.

Please give me your opinion. I hafta call him this night, so help!! :rolleyes:
  2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know for sure how big that place is but my lowest priced commercial account is $298.50 + tax per month.. Thats a mowing only account (gas station) takes 15-20mins a week to do..

I would say anything involving hedge trimming and your price is way to low
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Even excluding the pruning, I think your monthly fee is too low. Perhaps some other guys from Texas can give you what they would charge since they're more in tune with your market down there

Keep in mind that big parking lots can be time consuming and backpack blowers like to drink gas at a pretty good clip
  4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Can a 16 year old even get a pesticide applicators license?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial accounts suck. Banks, condos, and gas stations are the cheapest most unreliable customers. The only reason your getting this job is because you don't charge enough or your dad is the property manager. Commercials have to be done first thing in the morning (7 AM) so you don't have to deal with people and their cars. They'll drop you as soon as they find someone cheaper. Have fun picking up the garbage.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to ask that as well...
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my standard rate is $100 per (man) hour for commercial work.

I would bill out the crepes as an add on per occurrance.

In peak season
    You are looking at 45 minutes (using my equipment) to cut edge and line trim WEEKLY
    You are looking at 30 minutes to blow Weekly
    You are looking at 1 hour monthly plus disposal for trimming Monthly
    30 minutes Monthly for spraying for weeds.

SO my guess is 6.5 hours monthly peak season

Half that in dormant season.

figure out your season and do the math.
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

not true......

we have awesome comercials.... one we have had for approx 25 years....

most other commercials we hold onto for long periods...

they are all good money accounts, with lots of no bid extras.....over 100K alone with one in particular..l.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The experiences you've had with commercials, I've had with residentials. I try to stick to homes. The commercials that want it to look good no matter what are GOOD accounts to have. I've had the odd bank, gas station, and office building. Nothing lasting very long. It's always money or politics. Maybe I've just had bad experiences.
  10. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

Turflord, this guy will be on a year contract.

So, with the hedge and all, we're lookin at $400?

I haven't looked at the specifics for a pesticide license. No, I don't have one. I suppose I'll leave that out until I can get one.
    Most of the licenses I've looked at have no 'real' age limit. They do requre a DBA, which does have an 18 age limit. What were going to do is register it in my dad's name, and somehow try to include me in that. Then, I can use the DBA for licenses.
    and no, DBAs are NOT required in Texas to be in business.

Thanks for the help guys. It was so late last night I told him I'd call him back monday with the bid.