1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what's the weirdest thing you've ever seen while mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david griggs, Feb 1, 2002.

1. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

like sasquatch,ufo's or neked people- i saw a bat flopping around in one yard, musta had rabies, we got the hell outta there!
  2. I was tilling up a back yard and started hitting a lot of old cans, pans. Came across a pile of bones, I was about to call police untill I figured out it was a big dog. This was several days after cable installers had found a baby burried in a back yard in the same neighborhood. I thought real hard about selling that tiller.
  3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

my guys came across a female client nude sun bathing and trust me on this... we all wish we were there... :eek:
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

About 5 years ago I would take on just about any job for money. And a lot of times in the late spring we'd get these calls from people who hadn't mowed their lawn in like 6 months. So it was like 2 feet tall and we'd come in, weed whack it down, and mow it.

There was one such yard where the owner warned me about the spider problem she had. I said it wouldn't be a problem (what the heck did I care, my employees would be doing the work :D ) She said, "Well, actually it's more of an infestsation." Again, I told her, "no problem, we'll do it."

So my guys began mowing and I was about to leave when my guys called me over to see it. You could spread the 2' grass appart from the top and at any given spot, you could see literally hundreds of spiders. Go over a foot, another couple hundred. I am telling you, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a million spiders in this yard. They weren't big. Just looked like your average house spider. But there were so many! It was more infested with spiders than Indian Jones was with snakes in that first movie. It was freakin' crazy.

We'll they mowed it. I got paid. They all survived. No big deal. But that's definitely the craziest thing I've seen while mowing.
  5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I mow for a guy that buys and fixes up houses to sell. He gave one last summer that was let go for just about all summer. I mowed it first at about 6" and then dropped down to 4" for a second cut. When I dropped down I hit about 5 pairs of sandals that where out there. They were brown and I couldn't see them until they were flyin' across the yard. Don't ask me what the hell they were doing out there. They had a shed that was about 8'x8' and it was full (and I mean full to the top) with clothes. The house was abandoned. Go figure!
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

About 25 years ago I was servicing a bank when I saw a spruce tree 12'-15 tall spontaneaously combust. A bank customer saw it two. We verified what we just saw with each other but didn't make a peep to anyone else because to weird to believe.

The fire lasted seconds, just a poof. I went out, didn't smolder or anything. Just bare branches. It was in a buffer row of spruce and the trees immediately adjacent to it were not touched one bit.

The tree is still standing in the row with the live ones and has hardly deteriorated at all.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Saw sex at least twice.

2 years ago one of my residential customers managed a strip club. The girls were always there during the day using his pool. Saw them with bikinis, topless, and a few bare azz'd. :D Hated I lost that job to his friend.
  8. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

Had some Hispanics doing a clean-up on a yard that had been neglected for a couple of years ,they piled all the old rotten limbs that fell up in a central location ,when them mexican boys started picking them limbs up there was a Copperhead that measured 36 inches hanging out of that handful of limbs . I took him to a taxidermist who insured me he could do reptiles but he screwed it up ,peeed me off big time ,sued him for 1000$ and settled out of court for 500$ ,TRUE STORY :D
  9. I was mowing in the "Ghetto" 1 cut a month per each of the 500 places, and ran over a sack of uncancled checks.

Called the police and they said the sack was stolen a few days ago. That was 6 years ago.

Brinks were is my reward?

Ran over a nest of cottenmouth's with a mower, watched all the cute little babies come out, and then ran like hell!!!!
  10. We were mowing a 750thousand dollar home with a big fence and a inground pool and on the side of the pool a white dude and this black chick were getting it on.
    It took us about 15mins to get done back there and they never did quit they just kept it up like we werent there.
    Never did know who they were ,they were not the owners.
    I guess different strokes for different folks.

Also saw two gays who were i guess haveing a love spat.
    One was half a$$ naked with his pants down trying to get into the others car and he tripped trying to get on his pants and fell down and the car rolled over his foot.The moron just kept yelling to the other guy dont leave me i love you oooo my foot's crushed
    Talking about breaking up and laughing we laughed to we started crying.