Whats the weirdest way youve dumped a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Apr 11, 2006.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine came last night when the phone rings at 11:30pm. Im like wtf, and I answer it. Im like "hello" This woman asks "why did you call me". I say "who is this". She asks "who is this. I turn on the light and check the caller ID and I recognize the name as a customer I returned his call earlier last evening and talked to him about some yard work. I suspect his wife had been drinking and I informed her of the time and that I have 4 kids that are sleeping. She didnt act very appologetic and kept wanting to know why my number was on her caller ID. I had to tell her off and threaten to report her to police and all. Worse thing was that I expected a call from either her or her husband appologizing today, but nothing. Maybe cant remember. Oh well we wont be servicing them any longer. What a nut :laugh: :drinkup: :walking:

2. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Last week I showed up to a customers house, did my business, went to collect the money and found a sticky on the door saying sorry patrick weve moved to florida We knew you would still come today so we left the 30$ under the mat.... guess the kinda dumped me but it was wierd cause they never said anything to me about it and everhyitn was business as usual the week b4....but I didnt like them much anyways, the lady was always supersatisfied but the man allways found something wrong or some place I needed to trim more thoroughly or something....

ohh yea I had one last year, I hated doing this mans yard. took 2 hours and I only made 30$. this was a "ill call you when I need it done" customer and so he alway waitied till it was knee high b4 he called and then it was still 3 or 4 days b4 I could fit him in and he woudlnt pay me anymore than 30 and we argued about it often... so one day I didnt trim any of it just mowed and packed up and left. he called and said you didnt trim my lawn im going to find someone else to cut it and I said yes sir ive allready cancled my services to your lawn, that was that. Looking back that probably wasnt a very good move at all...

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Worst move? Sounds like best move you've ever made. . . $30 for 2hrs of work . . . cuz the guy didn't wanna pay any more than that . . .

Anyway, had a lady start bitching at me as soon as we pulled up.

"Why did you rototill our beds last week? You probably killed all our wildflower seeds"
    "Your husband asked us to do that. That shouldn't hurt them ma'am. They germinate in the spring."
    "Why didn't you mow the leaves last week?"
    "There were no leaves, ma'am."
    "I need you to mow the leaves now"
    "Show me where the leaves are ma'am"
    "Well they must have blown away. Mow what's there now"
    "Ma'am, I can see about six leaves on your entire lawn"
    "Then it won't take you very long. And I need you to prune those crepe myrtles now.
    "I'm sorry, but we don't have our ladder on the trailer now."
    "YOU DON"T HAVE YOUR LADDER?"
    "No"
    "I'm going to call my husband."
    "I'll mow the leaf now"
    (off the phone now) "My husband will be back in about a half hour. I want you to wait for him"
    "I'm sorry but we have to go, it's getting dark"

This took place on a Friday . . . 4:45 pm . . . December 23.
    Sent them a nice letter wishing them a happy holiday, cancelling service, and referrring them to a jerk competitor.

4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

yea it was a good move but, it probaly wasnt very good for PR im primarly a word of mouth guy, and I rad it somewhere on here but one good customer tells a friend but one bad customer tells 10 friends...

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hey.. that's a good thing. That's 10 more a$$holes you don't have to worry about calling you and making your life miserable.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yup that's the way I see it when I lose a slew of customers because one tried to get over on me and I put my foot down and they run their mouth then all their friends run, too.

The only thing frustrates me is then they're mad at me because they HAD to call someone else who is now charging them a HIGH price. So, they're mad at me for putting them in this situation yet all they had to do was agree to pay 5 more lousy bucks and they wouldn't do it so now they got some guy charging them 10 or 15 extra and technically, they got what they asked for.
    I go through this all the time, I'm not a lowballer but I do give out decent prices but oh no it's never good enough and they always gotta try and skru five more bucks out of ya and in the end I don't argue with them no more, I just never show back up and then suddenly they're stuck with reality.

Frustrating, it really is.

7. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

:drinkup: I hear Ya. Cheap A holes grow in clumps

8. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Had one guy who always complained I charged too much, he always let his grass get high. I did his yard, was 30 minutes away and he called me on the cell saying I missed under his jet ski trailer. I had told him to move it, it wasnt and he said he moved it since I left.He thought I should go all the way back over there to cut it.Told him fine but I have to charge you he hung up on me,lol.

9. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

I may be getting rid of one this week. Hate to because he's clumped together with 3 more. I hate loosing one where I don't have to move my truck. He's wanting me to skip this friday because he just fertilized it himself. Wants to let the energy build up in the grass he says. I called and left a message for him telling him I can't skip him, and he doesn't want to do that anyway. Grows like crazy every week. Told him to call me back before friday , also told him if I skipped the price was going up. Haven't heard from him yet. Looks like I might be done with him anyways.

10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

How about the people that like you to pick up the leaves you can count on one hand