whats the word around here about Husquvarna ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer up the street sells them - and Scag and Great dane - and he has a very low hour, around 5 total, demo I can buy at a good price. It is the large frame with 30 HP Kohler and the new Tunnel Force deck. I demoed it and liked it except for a few things, mainly blowout on the front of the deck, but I understand there is a new baffle to go in there to stop the blowout?

I currently have a Scag and it has been a good mower but not really any better than the Toro or Bobcats I used to run.

Any feedback would be helpful.

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Husky is a very good mower but I hate the new Tunnel Ram deck. It does not cut as well as their older decks.

Stay away from Great Dane! That company is a mess!

3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

I was asking because on the other lawncare forum, it seems Huskys are talked about as the worse mowers you could buy... Wondering if that is just uneducated talk, or first hand experience with these mowers.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Many guys on here have said that the tunnel ram decks are a mess. Husqvarna and Kee's mowers are always priced cheaper and there is definitly a reason for it. The vibe I have gotten from one of my dealers who sells all husqvarna hand helds, push mowers and snow throwers. He does not stock the husqvarna riding mowers (commercial or homeowner) nor does he stock any commercial walk behind mowers. He said they are built with craftsman quality and he was never impressed with them. He sells scag for his commercial customers.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search with my user name and the keyword Husqvarna....

That's all you'll need to do.
    Their corporate headquarters is right down there where you are.
    But that doesn't matter.

After some personal experience, I have found out that they are "THE" worst outfit trying to service this industry. They want our money and that's it... they are done with us.

Yazoo/Kees and Husqvarna are one in the same now from the top down.
    Avoid both at all costs.

That unit they have for sale is very likey one they were forced to take back after someone bought it and used it a day or two. Buyer beware.

Patronize a MFG that makes decent units and stands behind their product.

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Brian sounds like hes got his stuff together as a huski dealer.

7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

The mower I demoed had a baffle installed on it, it was almost like a mulch kit, but was open at the discharge end. It looked like it totally defeated the tunnel part of the deck. The Husky rep told my dealer to remove that baffle before he gave me the mower to try out as he said it cuts way better without it.... So it got yanked out. The mower cut really good in my opinion without it, but had WAY WAY WAY too much blowout on the front to be acceptable to me.

Will the containment kit stop this blow out and still allow use of the decks tunnel?

Does the containment kits baffles seem fragile or easily bent? I wish I could say I only cut football fields, but I don't and sometimes my mowers get banged around real hard hitting stuff in yards like stumps, baseballs, curbs etc...

My gripes with the demo unit were

1. the blowout from the deck

2. the engine bogged down going up hills with blades on, By bogged down I mean really bogged down!

3. Reverse speed was way too slow. At points during the day, it was almost as if there was no reverse at all.

4. Used to controls - key, throttle, PTO button - being on top of fuel tank and not sure I like it down on the front between my legs.

5. Control arms too close to me even with seat slid all the way back. The arms are bent towards the operator and would be roomier if not bent at all...

Otherwise I liked the way it cut, it was smooth with little vibration, and I liked the blade height adjustment with the hand and foot lever.

I am not sure if I will get a husky or not, price will play a big factor and the dealer hasn't gotten the price yet from the sales rep.

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about that machine then if you are not completely satisfied. Its an investment, make it a good one. I say look for one of the major 3 ( scag, exmark, hustler)

9. ucfbrian

ucfbrian LawnSite Member

The confinement kit will take care of most of the blowout and it still lets the tunnelram deck work. It attaches to the bottom lip on the front of the deck, under the blades. It bolts on but it can be welded. Kinda encloses the tunnel part of the deck with a bottom. The control arms can be adjusted up and down and also forward. Also, make sure the control arms are bolted on the outside not the inside on the bottom. They also have a kit for taller operators available.

10. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 61 one inch with the 27 hp kohler and I think it is a great mower. Mine has a great cut and it is great in reverse. Maybe the hydros need to be adjusted. I also have a 48" husqvarna hydro w/b with the float deck and it also is a great mower.