Whats the word on the 30hp Kohler?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TLS, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering if they're back in production or not.

I was all set on the 30 Kohler until the problems with the carb. Now it looks like I'll have to spend almost a grand more for the next best engine (28EFI).

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The latest I have heard is that Kohler is working on getting the parts needed to update our units and that we will not see any 30's for 4 to 6 weeks.

Pj

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt seriously that you would notice the difference in power between the two engines because the efi is more responsive. I have had two 27 hp Kohler's and the 28 efi I have now feels like a 30 in comparison and there will be a big difference in the amount of fuel used. I would really like to here from someone that has run both engines to get the true comparison because what I stated is just my opinion.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm also looking at the ~$1000 upcharge for the EFI unit! Thats a chunk of change!

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going with the 28EFI afterall. The fuel economy issue along with the 30hp problems pushed things toward the EFI.

Hope I'll like it!

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a 27/52 Super Z and currently own a 28/60 Super Z. I did the field test of the 30/66XR7 for Turf magazine. IMHO the 28EFI is the way to go. It's much more responsive than either of the other engines. When going into heavy growth or going up hills with both the 27 and the 30, you'll notice a change of pitch with those engines. The 28 just keeps humming along without any noticeable difference. Plus, the fuel savings are tremendous!!! Get the 28 and don't wait for the 30, you'll be glad.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will love it !!!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PJ What is the price difference between the 28 efi with the 66" XR-7 deck and the same mower with the 30 hp. I would like to know what a dealer would sell them for also if someone has that information. I asked my dealer and he said he really did not know at this time because he did not want to put any in the field until they had the kinks worked out.

9. Rhall31

Rhall31 LawnSite Member

>I was all set on the 30 Kohler until the problems with the carb.

What are the problems with the 30hp kohler?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

All list prices are shown in the sticky thread at the top of the Hustler forum.

With the SPring promotion, you can take $1700 off of those numbers.

I seem to remember it being $950 With tax it was just over a grand.