What's the worse storm you got caught in?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnSharks, Jul 11, 2008.

1. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday, we got caught in probably the worse storm ever. It came up in seconds, not minutes. Torrential rainfall, high winds, hail the size of quarters. It was so bad that when I got to the shop I actually checked the mowers for hail damage. Luckily, no damage, just soaked!

What's the worse storm you ever got caught in?

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

75 knot winds and 20 foot seas, 40 miles offshore, alone in 22 foot sailboat.

That was fun!

And Hurricane Charlie at my house, also another pleasant day....

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Got caught in a hurricane once. I was in a foreign country, just thought it was a bad storm, we were still out and about. Finally someone said to us, "Hey, this is a hurricane, go home." By the time we got back, I kid you not, we had to crawl on the ground, even hunched over you couldn't walk into the wind.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well it wasnt real bad, but I got halfway through my customers lawn and it started raining hard...grass clumps everywhere...I had to double cut and blow the entire lawn with BR600. What a mess!

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Where u been hiding? Hope your doing well.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I been hanging out over at the lighting forum...had to get away from you blue collars for a few!!:rolleyes:

Monday I purchased a pickup truck load of foundation plants 12, 3 gallon Indian Hawthorne's, 10 loropetalums and a 2"-3" maple tree (15 gallon)...I got all the Hawthorne in the ground on Monday and have been stuck digging in concrete in the rear lawn transplanting what was in the front...I have been a busy man!!

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever drive home in a true Hurricane? That is fun in a van. And for the record, Hurricane Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, Betsy, Rita, .... and several typhoons.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Halloween blizard of '91 doing a fall clean-up. BIG snowballs fell out when I went to empty the bagger!!!

9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

About a month ago when I was caught in a hailstorm on my way home from a mowing account-thank God for the truck bay at the carwash!

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of off topic but I am SURE that once when you were bashing katrina victims you said you go up to your cabin in GA. People are so funny.......