What's the worst injury you've ever had from landscapning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2stroked, Jan 25, 2012.

1. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

What's the worst injury you've had in the landscaping business? Just curious.

Mine was caused by adjusting a push mower deck and it snapping back and taking out a chunk of my finger. :realmad:

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Flipped a Z turn into a pond. Several broken ribs, collapsed lung, dang near removed my left leg just above the knee and to top it off, almost drowned. You won't catch me anywhere near a hill or water with a riding mower. Chit happens quick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

That's subjective Iv had a set of hedge trimmers catch my leg once while running when the tip caught the hedge as I finished and started to walk and it pulled it into my leg and man does that pinch hard. I have fallen backwards with a backpack on around a swimming pool when I tripped over a cable for a pool cover and the impact popped a shoulder out that hurt like hell. I had a fat relative of my ex boss lose balance when we were pulling some vines down form a tree and he elbowed me in the ribs cracking a few. I broke a bone in my hand this year on my lazer after it threw a belt. when the pulley that was stuck with a spring out of place snapped back harder then I could slow it down. But none of these ever resulted in doctor visits so I discount them. So the only thing I count would be wooden splinters in the eye that required immediate attention. But I still think the shoulder hurt more.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I think I broke my ankle not really sure but it hurt like heck for 6 months

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

5 stitches left eye brow with a tree branch trimmer

6. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Herniated disk- L5- S1. :(:(:(

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

back when i was in college i worked for a lawn company. i was wearing safety glasses but while i was trimming something flew up into my eye under the glasses. i had 2 corneal abrasions right in the middle of my eye. i couldn't hardly keep my eye open because the light was so bright. i had to wear sunglasses just to watch tv for a few days. i went to the eye doctor and he gave me some drops and the scratches went away. he also checked my eyes and found out i was nearsighted and had astigmatism. i had never had any trouble seeing things but after i got glasses and contacts i could see things much clearer that were far away so i guess it was a good thing it happened.

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut a finger off with a 21,.
    Burned the he'll out of my hand when my scag tried running me over with blades engaged, pulled myself up on it by the muffler!
    That next day went to dealer to have all factory safeties reinstalled!
    Good luck to all and learn from your blunders.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

I got thrown off a sulkey and dislocated my left shoulder. It was an older Turf Tracer with the pistol grips. I went over the handles on the left side at an angle, landed on my feet. Guess I had such a grip on the handle going over it twisted my shoulder out. WORST pain I ever had. I pulled my phone out and called a friend to give me a ride to hospital, thats about when the shock set in. I was part time then, 2 months off work. My 2 sons took over and saved my business.

10. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I was done mowing a job and blowing the patio clean when I ran into a nest of wasps that did not like me or my blower. I got stung three times and fell down backwards trying to get away, scraping up my elbow on the patio.

happy healing to all!