Whats the worst job you ever took on.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 4, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Ours was a 2200ft drive way that we cleared downed trees and brush from a snow storm. It was late summer when they finally decided to get their driveway cleared. There were no trees on the drive itself but just off laying down along with a major brush problem. We were supposed to clear 3-5ft off of both sides of the driveway and clear it down to ground level. This PITA lady had us doing everything but mow it but being new and eager to please my customer I just kept saying "ok,yeah we can do that, no problem", even her husband said we did enough and got into it with his wife. This was a very good lesson learned!!!!! Have everything in writting as to what the specifics to the job are and do no more than stated. We ended up loosing about 800 bucks on that job, and all of the "other work" she wanted later in the year....well I havent heard from her in 5 yrs.
  2. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

oh yah...a lady wanted work leaves blown. i pushed them back. her husband wanted them blown to where they where before i got there. a week later i had to go back out and move them back before the pineneedle guy got there. anyhow i put in a days worth of work for what she thoguht i was worth...8.75 an hr. i was under the impression that i was getting 800 dollars liek we talked about....i let her know point of view..." she replied if she would have known that then i wouldnt have done any thing......so yah i like the detailed job list
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Trying to keep the holding pond cleaned at one of our resturants....they wash their garbage container area every day and it goes into this pond. We take out about 6 buckets of solids every week. In our area you have to do these pond work because the bigger companies have that as one of the advantages of going with them. About every other year you take out about 1 foot of stuff and put in some new sand. It is good winter work....
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Brush cutting & clearing job. took longer than expected, more debris than expected and under estimated it a little. Customer was happy though and gave a nice tip which wasn't expected and has hired me back a few times for other work.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We weeded flower beds around a larger house that took 2 days. It took 22yds of mulch and 10yds of soft ball sized rock. We also hand pulled two 5X10 (2ft sides) trailer loads of weeds and hauled off.
  6. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

The first "big" landscape I took on. We put in the lawn, the landscape which included thirty some shrubs, a few trees, and bed edging. I subbed out the irrigation, so we didn't do that. In the back they had a small stream that we stepped back 30 feet and lined with railroad ties. :dizzy: Then we HAND LAID 32 tons of limestone. The limestone was those big peices, softball size and bigger. Myself and 2 guys spent 2 days laying stone in august. To top it off after we were finished the homeowner says " I guess it will work, I pictured somthing else." On top of that it was january before I saw my money, he went out of town two weeks after we put the yard in and shut off the irrigation! We ended up overseeding 2x before winter and he argued it was my fault the yard didn't come in. The next spring he called to apologize and said his lawn looked better than any of his neighbors. Dont you love it when the homeowner trys to run the show. :hammerhead:

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I had an older lady two years ago that though I was her little yard *****. Every time I went there to cut, it was "oh while your here can you......?" That didn't last long. I don't mind doing a small favor every once in a while but she was ridiculous.
  8. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yea... i had an old man like this. and every job that he needed done i had to buy a new tool for it. i ended up losing money after 3 visits so i dropped him when bought my cousins company and went full time for myself. he's the only one i dropped so far... im satisfied with my other customers.
  9. Pioneer01

Pioneer01 LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Mine had to be a fence job around what I found out was the old retention pond. Turns out they had the old landscaping company come in and cover the 10-15 inch rip-rap pond with about a foot of dirt and lay sod over the whole thing. I had no idea and started in with the auger only to get about a half a foot down before we would come to a complete stop. This was the first job I had done for this HOA and I really wanted the summer maintenance contract so I just kept my head down and hand dug all the holes (50 of them) pulling 15" rocks out of them. I'm glad I did because I did get the maintenance contract for this summer and will add about $5K per month in income:clapping: