1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the worst lawn you've taken on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBM, May 6, 2001.

1. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

I've been cutting a lawn weekly now which is owned by a physically handicapped woman. It's horrible, when I went to
    give the estimate the grass was an honest 10 inches high, full of pot holes from the dog, but the first thing I saw was a knucklebone (cow femur) sticking a foot out of the ground! She cleaned it up for me but I still managed to step in dog crap a couple of times, ran over a couple of squeeky toys, and fell into some blackberry bushes. Another problem with this property is it's smack dab in the middle of an agricultural area so it's been growing 6" a week. I cut this lawn because I need all the work I can get and the job pays very well.
    Has anyone taken on similar accounts or is it just me.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Did a lawn for a friend (stupid), his boxer had dug large holes, crap everywhere, toys and more toys, then a tennis ball thru the slideing glass door. Due the the size of the holes the mower bottomed out several times destroying a good set of blades, luckly rocks did not hit something.

That was the one and ONLY time I mowed that lawn. Friends don't mow friends lawns. ;)
  3. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Sounds pretty bad!!

If the job pays well just suck it up and do it. Maybe you can talk her into letting you do some improvements to her turf areas. Also, get a rider so you won't be gettin' any of that "stuff" on your shoes.

Good Luck!!
  4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

today I was helping a friend get caught up. We cut one yard together (4 acre) then he sent me to three others on my own as he and his worker went to others. He said they were small so they shouldnt be to hard for me to knock out rather quickly. The first one had branches starting at 3 feet high around all of the trees with grass underneath that was not that bad but the third one he sent me to had a back yard that had three terraces to it that were too steep to mow then all of the trees had roots sticking out of the ground. I ended using the trimmer on 50% of the yard.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I have this place for two years, this lady has 10
    great dames, they dig holes they crap witch don't get
    cleaned up by any one but my lawn mower tirers, I have
    to back in off a busy road i have to call 15 min"s before i
    get there.the only good thing is she pays me when i get there,Iv"e mowed most of my places 4 time now and i have"n
    heard from her this year yet sofar. I think that a good thing. If shes calls now i will tell her i have to much work
    and can"t do her any more.
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I did mow one with 3 dogs. Besides the holes dug by the dogs,the piles, and an electric fence, (ouch) they would chase me around while I mowed. It was also out of my way to do. The good thing was as far as paying, she was never late. I have one now that takes me as long to trim as it does to mow, plus hoses in the yard to move, dog piles etc... But he is a very good paying customer, so I just deal with it. Money is money, I guess.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My first year in business I worked for a dentist that has a large yard on a hillside. The lawn usually took over an hour to do with my Toro lawn tractor and craftsman mower (first year remember). They re-landscaped in the back and I couldn't cut it until they told me to(about 10,000 sq). Then I couldnt ride, I had to push and bag. 3.5 hours later I was whipped and very p.o'ed but I stuck it out until the end of the season because there was no Lawnsite to go home to and vent on.
    Since then I have noticed a new LCO at this property every year for the past 5 in a row.
  8. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I have mowed some pretty awful lawns, but I turned down one that would take the blue ribbon of worst lawns.
    This lady calls me up and says, Im so and so's friend and I was wanting you to mow my yard. So, I told her that I would come by and look at it, while she was at work. As I drove up to the house, I looked at the front yard. Overgrown, about 12" tall and some stuff scattered in the yard. Thought, this won't be too bad. Walked around to the back yard and there was thick grass about 24" tall or higher. This was all going to be with a 21" (gates not even 30" wide). Thought I was in a nightmare, but didn't wake up only got worse. I started walking though the yard to see what I had to contend with. Clothes scattered all about the yard, shoes, and trash. Found some metal pipes sticking out of the ground(perfect height for my blades to hit). Apparently this lady has had some plumbing trouble because she had a 3" PVC line coming from her house into the middle of the yard. I think it was drainage for her washing machine. I thought NO WAY!!! I walked a diferent route coming out of the yard. There were three dead half decomposed cats lying there on the ground that I could see. No telling how many were buried in all the tall grass.
    I left and called her that night to tell her no. She kept trying to talk me into doing it. Then she said that if I decided to do it to make sure that I wore a mask, because the people in that area had just found out that there were toxic amounts of chromium VI found on the ground that had come from some cooling towers at a nearby gas plant, (the reason for the dead cats). I told her there was no way I would ever cut that!!! She can find some school kid to do that job. It was something straight out of Stephen King's mind.
  9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Holy Cow! That yard shouldn't be mowed, it should be bulldozed! Russ
  10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine wasn't that bad but it was fairly messed up. A lady had me come by and look at her yard and when I looked at it, I wasn't sure if I was at a house or a flea market. Junk everywhere. In fact, it was so bad, that I removed three bamboo canes that had just been laid down in the yard, figuring it was trash and she called me wanting to know where her three fishing poles were later in the week.
    Anyway, there were vines everywhere, a couple blades of grass, mostly weeds, which she called grass. Other weeds were flowers. I way overpriced myself b/c I didn't want it but she took it! So I cut it one time and she called me back to get something that I hadn't gotten. I told her it had been cut and she got all irrational on me. When I tried to calm her down, she started ranting and raving about how I needed to be more like this guy that was there, cleaning up her flower beds for her. She was standing over him, dictating his every move. So I told her 'bye' and promised to see that she got another LCO. Put an ad in the paper =-).
    That yard was so messed up, hoses everywhere, one got caught in the blades, buried in the vines. MAN! I was glad to be rid of her yard.