What's the worst thing you have run over with a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Triple R, May 7, 2005.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

What's the worst thing you have run over with your lawn mower? I bet I have you all beat. This happened a few years back.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK this is not for weak stomachs

I was at an account about 1/2 acre lot with lots of trees. I was using my Scag with the catcher and a velke, mowing at full speed about 5-6 miles per hour. I was hauling on the mower and up ahead I noticed what might be a clump of leaves or something in the lawn. I figured the mower would just pick it up and It would end up in the catcher and that's just what happened. As soon as I hit it I knew something was horribly wrong. There was kind of a thump when I went over it and the smell, The worst thing I a have ever smelled. It smelled like death and that's just what it was. I had just hit a large dead rotting rat. Worst of all is that it was now in my grass catcher! I'm feeling sick just typing this out. Next I did the only thing I could think of I hauled a** to the back of the property where I had a pile of leaves composting and dumped my catcher out. My mower had not picked up all the rat. There was still the tail end on the lawn, that's how I knew what I had hit. I still had to finish cutting the lawn so each time I made a pass by the portion that was still on the lawn I would hold my breath. To this day just thinking about it still makes me feel sick.

This is a true story, now beat that.

2. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Nothing really exciting, but ALMOST...I few years back I was mowing for my brothers friend and he had an inguana. The iguana escaped from the house and was missing. It blended in really well with the grass and I came really close to hitting it. Other than hitting some rocks, dog turds, dead birds, nothing too exciting here
    EHO

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i ran over a dollar bill last year. i felt kind of bad about that.

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I used to work with this other LCO we were mowing an old abandoned house. They were renovating it and the yard was in terrible shape. Branches, leaves, weeds everything you can think of. Grass was over a foot tall in a lot of places. Anyway the other guy was finishing mowing and I was getting the blower out of the truck. In the last few rows was this really tall spot like two feet tall. Now he was really good about checking a property before mowing but I guess not this time. He gets to the spot and slows down a little and then goes for it. We hear a crunching sound as he passes over. He stopped because it was pretty lowd and really bogged down the mower. We went to see what it was, It was a nest with what looked like 4 or 5 rabbits in it. A mother and some babies. Worst part was he had to go back over them because a few weren't killed on the first pass and they were suffering. Made me sick to my stomach. You would think the noise and vibrations of the mowers and trimmers would of scared them away.
    Top that.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

OMG! LOL! Why not just dispatch suffering animals with a shovel blow to the head? Running over bunnies with a mower TWICE sounds mean.

6. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

The worst thing I ever ran over was a small bird doing somthing on the ground.The grass was about 1 1/2' tall so I could not see anything on the ground.Like the guy with the rabbit story.You'd think that the noise would scare it away.I didn't feel so good after that.But what can you do in tall grass.

7. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

I worked on my dad's golf course when I was a kid. I was driving a Worthington F-8 (jeez, I'm getting old) around a pond and snagged a water snake with one of the reels - cut him clean in half. All I can remember is this huge, dismembered snake slithering back into the water, the fact that he was dead hadn't quite sunk in yet. Now, I hate snakes. For me it is a flight or fight response. I damned near jumped off that tractor.

Not too long after that I was mowing fairways with one of those huge 9 gang reel mowers, about 15' wide. I had taken my shirt off and this insect the size of a 747 lands on my chest. I have a similar reaction to the insect as I did the snake - I flailed at my chest with both hands to kill that prehistoric-sized creature - only to realize that I had driven the tractor about 100' into the rough, taking it from 3" down to about 1/2". Big, ugly and yellow.

My new assignment: clean the ball washers.

Maybe I should have become an accountant?

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

last year some time i was cutting this lawn, when i noticed a big pile of **** in the way, at the same time my customer was approaching me to talk. i hate this and i have told her never to do this. soooo, what i did was i ran over the pile and stopped the blades. After we talked, and she was walking away, she was about 30 foot away i engaged my blade and gave her a **** shower. She turned and looked , i smiled and told her . "this is what happens when you come to close to my mower"!

9. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

That is funny! Is this person still your customer?
    When I was in college, I worked @ a country club during the summer. I was cutting an area that we would do every other week and hit baby bunnies. It was horrible!
    Back to a positive note. While doing a Spring clean-up this year found a $50 bill, my powerbroom uncovered it.

10. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

well it just so happened that the day before i mowed my own lawn , my kids, namely my son , were building a tree house, lots of fun! some where about the second pass i hit something that sounded like a five gallon bucket of scrap metal going through one of those big chippers tree trimmers use, only to my supprise , i just found my 20oz estwing hammer the kids had lost!!!
    man you talk about messing some blades up, and it dented the top of my 757s 7 iron deck so bad that it cracked the powdercoat on top!!! we now have a tool check list , each tool must be signed out and especially IN!!!