1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the worst

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Tim1075, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Whats the worst thing that has ever happened to you while you were plowing?
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ran out of unleaded gas at the shop, and had to keep driving to gas stations to pay to fill up the trucks.

UNISCAPE LawnSite Member

you asked the same question four weeks ago...look up that post
  4. Guest

Five years ago , after a 18" snow fall one of our one ton trucks caught fire and burned all the way to the ground. I was plowing a parking lot across town and a friend of mine stopped to tell me he heard on his scanner that a truck was on fire at one of the accounts that I plow. It took me around 20 mins. to get there, the entire time I was hoping it was nothing serious, while when I got there one large fire engine was leaving and there were about 3 other fire trucks, police cars, ambulence, town highway trucks and alot of curious on lookers. When I got there the driver was in shock but was at least not hurt, and all he said was that he heard a loud bang and the hood blew open and the engine basiclly exploded. I had to call the garage I use to come and tow it away, when the tow truck got there he was unable to tow it because it was still in four wheel drive, so I had to get in the still smoldering truck and try and find the 4x4 shifter and take it out, was unable to find it so we had to take the driveshaft off to tow it. Needless to say in that same storm one of my other trucks broke down and I was only down to 2 trucks thank god that I have friends with plow trucks they helped me out. It was a very bad weekend, but about a week later when I found out how much the insurance company was giving me for the truck I auctually made out better than if I kept the truck. The only hard part was finding a 4x4 plow truck in the middle of the winter. I hope I never have another storm like that. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong, but in the end we finished everything with a few complaints and no one got hurt.Just My two cents
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Fell asleep at the wheel after 52 hours plowing. Ditched the truck. Guys pulled me out, took me home, put me in bed. Slept 24 hours straight. That was YEARS ago. Never tried that type of stuff again.
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

GOOD GOD! 52-HOURS STRAIGHT?!?!? That's rough.

SLC1-->Just out of curiosity, what ended up causing the truck to catch fire?

7. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago when I only had two plow trucks I had one in the shop. We had an unexpected snow so I was down to one to do everything with. Half way through a big hospital that we do my tranny blew up. I was up a creek without a paddle until the dealership opened at 7:00 am. I picked up my other truck which was still broke (no power steering when turned left) and finish all the other accounts. A buddy finished the hospital with his 3 trucks.
  8. Guest

SlimJimZ71, We are not sure what caused the fire in the truck, but about two months before the fire I had a new 460 motor put in and it was a carborature, the fire department said that they thought it was leaking gas and it went onto the manifold, I am not sure and was auctually glad to get rid of the truck because it was nothing but trouble the entire time I we owned it.
  9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Well... at least no one was hurt, and you made out okay in the end.

10. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Got hit with 21" New Years Day '99. 15 of our trucks broke down with no place open to get spare parts til Monday morning 2 days later. Of course all the accounts didn't get done so it the fan when they got to work Monday morning. Then it kept snowing every day the rest of the week. Got 15 hours sleep total the 1st week of the year.