Whats this blown 48in exmark walker worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PEVO, Sep 25, 2007.

1. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Seller states motor blew(see pic) & has no desire to fix it. He says it needs a drive belt, but recommends all belts be replaced along with a repower. I'm pondering buying this since i just happen to have a briggs 14hp v-twin vanguard setting in my shed. I guessing it will mate to this mower & have enuff power to run it? I've been told that the 14hp briggs is the same as a 16hp but with a smaller carb is this true? He is asking $250 for it. I have not seen it in person nor has he said anything about the hydros. If everything checked out -the motor...would it be worth $250 or should i haggle down to 175-200 range. Any comments??? thanks

Graphic10.jpg

2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

from the looks of it I'd save your money all together and go look around your local junk yard, I've seen better looking mowers there for 50.00$

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a belt drive mower... not a hydro.

i'd bargain with him.. all he can say is no. make sure that the drive pulley on the crank will mate with the engine you have.

4. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Thats good to know(belt not hydro) . As far as the pulley,...your right...i wanted to at one time repower a mower that had a 12.5hp on it, but this 14hp has Different size shaft & the shape on the v-twin nixed that idea. I figure if i can get it cheap enuff to replace what ever fudded up, clean it ,repaint it.... i may still be able to sell it for $650-750 & make it worth my while

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd ask about the tranmission, does it stay in gear? everything work on it? also if you see it, spin the blades and make sure the spindles aren't bent and the bearings aren't in need of replacement. check the deck for any signs of weld/repair/bent. if it has any of these other problems, i might offer him $50 or so for it.

you could repair it for use, but if you are buying it as a fixxer upper to sell, you probably will just break even on it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look man, she ain't worth fixing but...
    If the tranny's good, the tires look ok, there's probably more than a few things I can re-use, maybe the spindle bearings if they're fine, might save myself a few hours on bearing replacement just swap the spindles.

See that thing's roughly the same as a Toro 30197, I'd finally get the chance to see exactly what interchanges because Exmark parts I can find all day long. Heck I'd keep that thing covered up, the deck and frame I could use when mine craps out.

So I'd buy it for parts myself, I probably would give the whole amount, IF it's similar enough, I'd have to bring my 30197 along first to see, just my take on things.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pass on It....thats just me... way too rough. But on the other hand...If you feel like working on It...paint It up a bit I could do you just fine.
    Best of luck

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if its a 5 speed with reverse Assist. or is it a variable speed??? The 5 speed is worth it the other is not.

9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I talked with the fella today & got a bit more info. This mower does have the 5 speed w/reverse assist, & said the bearings, spindles, blades were good. He could'nt remember thou if the mower first came (motor wise)with a electric start or recoil. (the blown motor was only recoil started) I only have electric start on the motor i'm wanting to mount to it. So if not already equiped I'd have to wire it for electric start & fashion a battery box on it too. I think i'll start out at $100.00 & haggle on from there. Thanks for everybodies help!

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It can be worth up to three hundred. Give the ser. Numbers to exmark and they can tell you what motor can on it. I bet a 13 or 14 kaw recoil. or the 15 Kohler recoil.

It would be better and just as easy to buy a new motor(complete) for it that it came with. you would be into it for around seven hundred with a completely new engine.