What's this Case worth?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by travislakerat, Feb 13, 2008.

1. travislakerat

travislakerat LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am interested in a Case 60 XT that I found about an hour from me. A guy owns 4 of them and has offered to sell me one. He is actually selling all 4 Case's. He states he has a large fleet of Bobcats and wants to maintain only Bobcats. He told me today that I can come get the pick of the litter and choose any bucket from the 4. He has a grapple bucket, which is what I am looking for to move debris and trees with. They are 02 models and have between 2200-3000 hrs on them. They have demolition tires on them that he reports don't have much life left. How much would you think one of these units would be worth based on good running condition? He has offered to sell me one for 13k. Second, any particular weaknesses in this model that I might look for if I go demo it tomorrow.

How would this unit compare to a Cat 246? Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but I am a newbie and ya'll have given some great advice in the past.

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

As moving to all Bobcats that is debatable ! I would say because of the hours on the Case machines as being the reason that he is moving them on and also because of the numbers(4) at one time.

Not saying the hours are all that bad,but most on here will tell you that they are getting more hours then they run.If the price is right and they will work for you then they might be just what you need.Depends again if you will have to spend some on repairs and so forth.

The price doen't sound all that bad,you just need to go look at them and see how beat they are.Ask question and if he has maintence records.Check his operatation out and maybe that will tell you something how his machines are treated.

Go prepared to check everything out on the machine as in the oil,water,oil leaks and so on(list goes on).You get the idea.

Sure there are other that will add info.Good luck !!!!!!!!!

3. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

To many hours for the price. I spent some time in a 60xt and thought it was underpowered and jerky, ON smooth ground it was o.k. If your running grapple bucket they also won't be much of a lifter, I kind of thought these went backwards from the 1845C but, to each is own if you do like 60xt's I think you can do much better than that (in this area anyways) look for something with under 1500 hours. If something bad happened to the drives or the motor the repairs would bring you close to A very new very low hour newer machine of that size, and at that many hours that is very possible

4. KTM

Also if a dealer took one of those in on trade they would never give over 10k for it.

5. travislakerat

from Texas

Thanks for the info. I will go take a look. If I was to look at other skidsteers which would be more important age or hours? I wish I could buy one for what a dealer would pay.....

6. travislakerat

from Texas

Ok, so how about input on a couple others I found: A 2003 Thomas 1700 with 743 hours for approx. 12k or a 2003 Cat 246 with 1500 hours for 16,900. Either of those units worth looking at?

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of work do you see yourself doing with this machine? Side note: I love lake travis, especially the Oasis Bar....black olives in a pitcher of beer on a hot sunny day, nothin' better!

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The 60XT has 74 nonturboed hp and 1800 pounds of lift. They are a rugged machine. As far as if the machine is worth that. It depends all on how they were maintained. A dealer problably is not going to give you 13 on trade because he needs to be able to resell it. The seller thinks it worth 13 so that is what he is retailing it at. As everyone has seen some guys can trash a machine in 500 hours and some can put 3K on and still be in good shape. I would look at it and run it and see what you think. You would not lose money on it at 13K.

9. KTM

Around here that machine was low 20's when it was new. With that many hours on it that owner made good money on that machine selling it with that many hours for that price. The other day I seen a real nice 85XT with 1500 hours in real nice shape and the price was $15,900 O.B.O The 85XT is a way better performing machine. And if something bad would happen you would lose money on the machine. Unless you can repair your self, they get expensive to repair. If I was to buy a high hour machine Case would be my first choice though.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you had a major failure you would lose money on it perhaps but I was assuming that you did not sink a bunch of money into it. The machine will not depreciate much further assuming it is in good condition. I have only run the 60XT and never owned one. I did own an 85XT and it struggled up here. After that machine I went to the 95XT which of course was turbeod and it ran much better. The Series 3 machines are finally turboed across the board. That was over due. Especially with the 445 (85XT).