Whats this Gizmo?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bob, Feb 26, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This is off my Grasshopper snowthrower. The shaft coming straight down (6:00) has a coupling that has a chain around it. I think it might do the job that shear bolts do, since I don't see any shear bolts anywhere else. Any ideas?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe that is some kind of "shear coupling". I have seen other couplings designed to shear that look a lot like that.:)
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a alignment coupling. Way to couple things that may not be in perfect alingnment. It very well may shear off when you try to throw a lawn jockey , but I think it is to attach two shafts that may not always align or to reduce vibration.

4. fixaknot

fixaknot LawnSite Member

In looking at the breakdown for this particular snow thrower this coupling is actually three parts. You have two sprocket couplings and a chain coupler.

They are for mating the drive shaft of the gearbox to the shaft that extends outward to the drive chain for your auger.

It appears to be a much better set up than trying to use a spyder coupling system. (providing more stability for the shafts and alllowing more torque)
  5. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Flexible coupling.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I called Grasshopper. Thats pretty much what they told me. I ordered an owners manual last week, but it hasn't come in yet.
  7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned above it is a chain type coupler that work with shafts that need to be aligned, very simular to the love joy connector with a spyder. Chain couplers are much more durable, but allow less deviation in alignment. Yours look to be missing the protective cover which is filled with some oil to keep the chain lubricated.
    We converted a love joy connector on a piece of equipment to that style chain connector, no more changing bad spyders every two months.
  8. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Those couplings are great until they come apart! I've seen one grenade not to long ago. It seems to me that the Love-Joy couplings last longer especially on logsplitters.
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

It is a simple chain coupleing. More durable than the lovejoy type. Spray with moly chain lube and it will last a long time.