whats this mower worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, May 10, 2006.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have my doubts as to the age of the mower. There are several reasons for this. The small engine on a 60" deck, the round front bumper, the very small rear bumper, no heavy duty Donaldson air filter or Turbo per-cleaner, a single oil cooler and no Amsoil bypass filter. I really think this is a mid to late 90's model. This is important because despite the fact that it has a new engine the rest of the mower most likely has very high hours on it. Parts that may need replacement soon would be just about everything else on the mower like the hydro systems, pullies, spindle bearings, wheel bearings etc...

If you can get the guy to give you the serial number off of the mower (not the engine) you can easily tell what year it is. The first 2 digits in the serial number indicate the year ie: 00=2000, 99=1999, 98=1998 etc.

That being said it's very difficult to give a value on a mower that so little is known about. If the mower is junk and all you are really buying is a used 20 HP Kohler engine then the value would be whatever you could get for the engine unless you have a use for it. Probably $800. If the mower is in excellant shape with low hours and not needing any repairs (which you already know it has leaky tires and needs brakes, it may need much, much more) then the value would be $1500 to $2000. I put the value pretty low because I think it is seriously underpowered.