What's this perma green worth?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a chance to buy a used perma green and need help on what to offer. Not sure of the year, but the unit has 66 hours on it. The guy replaced the pump, generator, and control cables. I know a new unit goes for around $6K but can anyone tell about how old this unit is just by looking at the pics?

perma green3.jpg

perma green1.jpg

perma green2.jpg

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I saw the PG on Ebay. it had a buy it now price of $1500. when it started and went away after someone placed a bid. $1500 would be a very good price. its probably a 2001 model, looks to be very good cond.
    I sold 2 Centri's last week, both had about 400 hrs and were in good shape.
    I got $2300 ea for my Centri's!

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

if he replaced all those parts at 66 hrs. then there are more parts to fail and replace. mine broke down each week.
    find a used z spray.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I stated out just like you looking at used units. I was told to stay away from the older units due to them having tons of issues.

Typically if a person is getting rid of something....there is a reason. So why buy someone else's problems? I know this is not always the case, but it typically is.

Thank goodness I went with a new one, and with 200 hours all I have done is change the oil, replace a cable due to getting rusty and keep it clean.

I wouldn't look at anything but a PG Magnum!

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

66 hours--not even properly broken in. This is an older model the Centri. i think the last two or first two numbers of the serial number incicate the year. . $1500 would work. Also has the Robin motor--better than the Briggs.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Riggle,

I agree that price is good... but a machine with 66 hours that has had that many parts replaced already would scare me personally.

The last thing you want to do is work on equipement when there is a ton of work to do.

Just my opinion!

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think just setting idle is just as hard on these machines as using them everyday!
    Your still going to get corrosion of electrical parts and the deterioration pump seals. but I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used PG that had been maintained properly. all the parts that were replaced are things that I like to replace every winter to avoid down time when I'm working.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. $1500 sounds about right - even though this machine looks to be very clean & well taken care of. The Robins (Suburu) engine is a good one (one notch below Honda). But it's an old unit -- that's the problem. I agree with you, it's time for a new one.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Serial number is located under the tank against the wall behind the motor. It probably indicates the week it was made, the year, and the number made so far. as 0322005666 indicates 32nd week of 2005. Number 666.

10. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sounds like it wouldnt be a bad deal except that the motor for the unit is obsolete now, so if you need to get another motor for it, you end up having to upgrade to the Kawasaki engine that replaces that Robins about $350. $1500 isnt bad though, but if you can work it down enough to get another motor should you have problems, then you got an even better deal. I've got centris which i have all Kawasaki engines on, and they are still working well.