Whats this Problem F350 Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newtostone, Apr 11, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Alright so the other day i am making a turn slowly when backing up to hook up the trailer and i and getting a sound from my power steering pump as if its low on fluid which its not. I still have a normal feel with steering and such it just makes a noise while turning sharply only when driving slow. Now i would just say alright lets just see about the fluid and change it but would the fact that my AC wont blow cold air have anything to do with this? Normally over the summer i am big on the AC, if its a quick job leave the truck running and have somewhere cool to retreat to. But the other day it just blew out warm vent air, or it felt anyways. So i am asking all the guys who know much more on trucks than i do, are these two things connected? And my AC was ice cold last year its a 2003 F350 6.0
  2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I think the chirp or squeal that you are probably hearing is normal when you turn sharply in either direction. It is not very good for the pump and should be avoided. Most pumps as they get older with start to make some noise. Check the belts and make sure they are tight.

As far as the A/C, when you turn the A/C on you should hear the compressor cycle on and off. It will sound like a click. You can see it if you look under the hood. The front of it will spin and then it will stop. If you can't hear it cycle on and off then you are low on freon and the compressor will not turn. If you are low on freon the compressor will not work in order to keep it from burning itself up.

If you are low on freon you have a leak that needs to be fixed.