what's too early?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chadwhick, Dec 19, 2005.

1. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

In residential areas how early do you all start working? and to change the subject, when it comes to maintenance, is it better to do as much as you can on your own or do you all take your equipment to the shop regularly for maintenance?

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

my employee gets here at 8 am usually on first job by 830-845 . do as much maintenance on you equipment as you possibly can. Take it to a shop their rate will be like $50/hr plus the down time you will loose while it is there.
  3. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

We normally begin mowing at 8:30. I like to let the 8 to 5 workers get out of the way. Find a brand of equipment that works for you and learn everthing possible about it. (Owner's manual, illustrated parts manual, field tests, problems other owners have had etc.) Become your own mechanic. You will save a lot of cash not to mention down time. Also become a mainenance freak. It will save a lot more time in the long run.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Generally, Mon - Fri, I dont start before 8am. Sat, 9am....However, I have started at 7:30 before on really hot days or when Im way behind...As for maintenance, do as much of it as you can to save some money..
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Any earlier than 8:00 a.m. for residentials is just plain rude.

As for maintenance, you'll get a lot of guys here saying they are into doing it themselves. Nothing wrong with that at all, if you're into that kinda stuff. Me, I've NEVER had the patience for doing mechanical work. I've tried and tried over the years but I just don't have that kind of temperment. And besides, I only have limited time as it is. In the summer I am working 60 hours a week just doing what I do. If I had to maintain the 30+ pieces of equipment I owned, I'd never have time for myself. It's just not possible. So we farm it all out to a very good mechanic who charges way too little for his time. :D
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we never start residential until at least 8am
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My guys leave between 7:30 and 7:45 from our yard. As for daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance, myself and one of my guys do it on Saturday morning early as possible. The rest of the day is devoted to sales calls. Major rebuild/repair goes to the dealer as needed.
  8. in the spring we start at 7:30 then as it gets light earlier we start at 7:00 we know where we can go at that time. as far as maintance we do it all ourselves and very seldom go to a shop.
  9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

We leave the house at 7:30. I believe that one of the main reasons that I've been successful in this business is the fact that I can fix my own equipment. I can't imagine running a piece of equipment to the shop every time it breaks and waiting for them to get to it. I was a small engine mechanic before I started mowing and it has been extremely beneficial.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I like to be on the road by 7:45 and dropping the gate by 7:59, Im real anal about starting by 8:00 sharp every morning.