Whats Turning The Grass Yellow?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by anj, Jul 10, 2006.

1. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Cut My Yard Over The Weekend And Noticed Today Yellow Patches On The Lawn. Any Ideas What It Could Be?

IMAG0002.JPG

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

your pis isnt to clear to me but it could be many things: Lack of rain, brown patch disease, needs fed, or mower to low. Dont know your area either such as how much rain you have received or type of turf or soils. Good luck
    Mike

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

At night either a pack of dogs or drunk people are peeing on your lawn:laugh:No just kidding has the rain down there. Possible causes are lack of rain,insects,needed fertalization. Hard to tell. You could get a soil analysis .

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Brown patch has gone crazy up here the past couple weeks. All those June evening rains kept the ground so wet and humid, it's everywhere.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Lack of rain is an understatment.

It has rained maybe 5 times since the middle of April.

What type of grass?

The Bermuda has even been looking bad this year.

Most keep trying too cut it at 1.5 inches maybe 2 and the grass is severally stressed.

Yards are going a Month with only stick ups needing mowed.

My Buddies Irrigation buisness is booming However.

6. Mike33

i had issue with brown patch never knew what it was before this year. We just do installs and not mainteance. Call a local lawn care person to check out like in our area we have greener lawn care they do annlles( how ever you spell it ) fertlize, etc. We had a goofy spring for installs like frost in mid may then when it got warm had a early drought, then when it would rain it would dump and run away with out soaking or destroy any thing with wash out. I tell my customers to set there mower on highest setting and only cut 1 third. Good luck to you.
    Mike

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I'm having the same problem with a new lawn I put in this year. This is at my own house and has water regularly.:confused: I will have to take some pics this week.

8. anj

anj LawnSite Member

We Have Got Plenty Of Rain The Last Couple Of Days. I Think My Blades On My 36" And 21" Are A Little Dull. Would This Cause It?

9. Mike33

Im not sure but my opinion wouldnt be much on mowers, i hate cutting grass and pay someone when i can find them to cut. I do new installs and leave the other issues to the yard pros. But this year with the brown patch disease im trying to learn as much as possible so if i get called back on 1 of my installs i dont look so stupid.
    Mike

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I am working within a few miles of riverdale on bare ground that has been bare ground for months.
    Dry as a bone with 24 hours of this so called rain.
    The ground becomes so hard and dry that the water just runs off with very little residual effect.

Once again what type of grass is it?