What's Typical for Grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ERICKS, Jul 18, 2001.

1. ERICKS

ERICKS LawnSite Member

Do you generally try to treat for grubs as a preventive program or do you usually find customers only want treatment as needed??

Doug

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

With the proliferation of the European Chaeffer, more and more customers realize the benefits of a preventative program.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I agree. But there is a window on preventatives and it is about closed where I live. What I have noticed in dry years that the damage is late in non-irrigated lawns. Some lawns may not be in the damaged state until october.

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I've basically sold my customers on the benefits of a Merit treatment each season. Some have had experience with grubs
    in the past and don't want a repeat. What concerns me is that the continued use of Merit or Mach 2 over time the grubs will build up a tolerance to it and its effectiveness will be reduced, I guess we cross that bridge when we get to it.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the demise of organo-phosphates we are forced to take a new approach to control grubs. I have some problem "GRUB'" lawns that I now treat w/ Merit. The biggest challenge I have had is selling Merit because of the higher cost of this product. I try to explain that a preventative grub application is a whole lot cheaper than a lawn replacement!!! :) ED

6. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

I have had a good education this year. Been hot and dry this year.Most of my customers cannot irrigate. Applied Merrit end of June. No rain therefore material not present when they began to feed. Next year i am going out with Merrit in May.

7. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone out there use Mach 2?

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Heard of a lot of failures w/ that product, so I've stuck w/ Merit and have had excellent results.:) ;) :) ED