what's up in the dfw metro area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packey, Mar 22, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I am in visiting my inlaws in Bedford Texas and man where are the lco's at. My wife and I dorve around and went to garage sales and it was a routine site to see over grown lawns where once nicley manicured lawns resided.. I only saw three lco/s even running and they where quite rag tag crews you know the type flying under radar. what is going on is every one getting out or is it just a slow start on the spring. I talked with three diffierent people and they said they would be happy to hire someone so I know the desire to have work done is their.

2. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

It seemed this winter has caused about half of the fly by night companies to go out of business. In my area there are about 4 companies that have been in the business 10+ years, my business being one of them, and we are getting the calls, people are just being tight with the money. I have lost 2 bids due to the new fly by night guys that cut my prices in half. Good thing I come home to 2-3 messages for bids each day or I might find something else to do.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I feel the same way. I'm not seeing as many part timers out this season. I guess with gas prices and materials being as high as they are, it's scaring off the weekend warriors out to make a buck. I'm enjoying the extra estimate calls... I'm just not enjoying the calls wanting same day service at 3:45 in the afternoon.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

About 70 miles north here. I know I am having trouble getting everything done here. Trying to finish up landscape jobs and doing scalping and hedges. The weather the last month has not been all that great, would get snow and rain {tues got another2.5"}. The last couple of weeks the henbit has been going crazy. I have got to get somemore help, the phone keeps ringing and we keep saying sorrycan't take anymore work at this time.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I too am seeing a lot of fly by nite guys going by the way side.

I understand why as of last week, went on a bid, the lady informed me that her LCO was out of business, I bidded it at 60.00 she said WOW the last guy was charging 35.00

this was a double lot, 3/4 to an acer. with a lot of line trimming....