1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's up w/the new Echo BP650?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, Aug 19, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I need a new blower - my old Echo pb 5600 backpack is four years old and is ready to be replaced. I love echo equipment, but all I hear is the the Shindawia eb630 is the blower!

I tried the echo pb650 for about five seconds and wasn't too impressed. It was more powerful than my 46cc blower, but not too much more powerful. Does the echo have any advantage over the Shindawia eb630? I don't think so. Let me know.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a PB-650 and absolutely love it~!

I came from a 44cc LESCO/ECHO backpack and found that it just about doubles the performance of that. I even took off the second tube and just run it with a shorty. Blows great and very far. Do the brick test with your old one and the 650. This is where you will see the power increase.

Things I dont like about the PB-650....

1] It is hard pulling the starter rope (compression), and you have to place your other hand on the actual engine to get leverage. Gets a little HOT there when its been running and it needs to be re-started.

2] Still not used to the L frame. I miss the surrounding frame of the older style ECHO's. Old one took a few jumps off the trailer onto the road, dont think the PB-650 would survive quite as well.

3] Also, I think the flex tube (rubber) is too stiff. Doesn't allow for wide swings without the swivel coming into play.

All these things are all due to the "newness" of the machine, and will probably improve with age.
  3. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

picked one up about three weeks ago, love it. like TLS said, stack it up to any other blower with a brick and you'll see the difference. My dealer had a picture of the redmax(7000 I think ???) and the pb650 with a high tube and three softballs. the red max blew the balls up about 6 feet and the echo about 12. Like TLS said I also think the flex tube is to stiff.
  4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have the pb603 and love it. I have used the pb650 and I didn't like the tube on it. The pb603 has better movement in the tube. I can bring it all the way around where you can't with the pb650. I highly reccomend the pb603.
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

How is the back support on the echo?