Whats up with Bluestone this year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Have you all heard the same rumor that there is suddenly a Bluestone shortage and the prices are going up significantly?

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Have I heard? It started for me last October. I have a contract that calls for flagstone stepping paths. We've had to lay them throughout the winter (temporarily set; will redo in the spring). I am paying almost 50% more per sq.ft. than I was last spring.

I can get a better price, but I have to order by the tractor trailer load. I don't know what everyone else experienced this year, but the lack of quality stone keeps me from buying a full load. I hand pick every piece.

3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Even buying full truck loads you have to wait in line.

As soon as wholesale yards get some in, I go and buy pallet fulls to stockpile.

Because I prefer only 2x3's, I'm constantly searching.

I might have to go to the water sawn stone at $5 sf

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that prices are definitely up. The other thing is when you order random cut sizes, there may not be any 2x3's in the delivery because so many people want only the 2x3 size for walkways. Buying a truck load is helpful, but some quarries have standing orders so they make you wait, even for that larger order.