What's up with Great Dane?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Apr 8, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

It's seems they have almost no dealers or dealer support. I've owned three Super Surfers and think they are great machines. I know you guys will tell me to buy a Wright Stander but I run 60in decks and need the floating decks. When I call them directly they say I have to buy through the nearest dealers(an hour away) and they are both real hostile. Anyway it's a shame.

2. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

from what I hear, scag bought great dane. Maybe there will be more mowers and dealers around now.

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere owns Great Dane as of 2 years ago and from what I here from the JD Dealer they are getting things in order to launch a huge bid in the commercial market again. But they didn't want to 1/2 ass it so they are taking thier time.

4. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Great Dane dealer support in my area is excellent as I have 2 awesome dealers that I can deal with.

The new Dane Super Surfers and Chariot riders are awesome. Just demo'd a new rider with a 61" deck and the new deck cuts better than anything else I have ever tried.

Give 'em a try!

5. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

The Great Dane mowers are a great machine for their performance and our supplier tries his damndest to get parts. but you got that right that you cannot get parts. I have a Chariot jr 23 kaw 52 deck that's 5 years old. It has less than 500 hrs on it but we've stuck over $1500!!! Dane told my supplier, "when the bin is empty, no more parts." Now I have no breaks on one side. Took it to the dealer to have fixed. They heated it as much as they could and used a 3 jawed puller but no results. Now the only alternative is to cut the break drum off because it is keyed on a tapered shaft which is stuck solid. Now I will have to order a new break drum and break cam and then sit back and wait to see how long it takes to get them. I have been waiting for over a week on a hydro filter! Even tho I love it's cut & mowing speed, there won't be another Great Dane on my trailor.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

who is great dane?.....does that answer your question?:)

7. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Yea, it tells me you know very little about our industry.

8. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Chuck,

Amen....

Great Dane is a major player in my area.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

They have to work hard on being able to get parts in a timley manner in order to begin to compete, or to evan be able to call themselves commercial. The product is great, but the service and ability to get parts when needed is rediculous.

10. JON K

JON K LawnSite Member

I have a 36'' walk behind Great Dane. No problems in 5 seasons. The story I was told Dane Scag started Great Dane His second mower company.