1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Whats up with green barrels?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowerdude777, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I have just learned a bit about green barrels and think that they seem over priced, are they any good mostly they are used for leaf removal couldn't't I just use a trash can since they are a lot cheaper or am I better off with green barrels. Your input would be appreciated.

2. G&G Maintenace

G&G Maintenace LawnSite Member

the green barrels have a larger opening that a normal trash can does, but i also use just normal trash cans..they are cheaper and easier to carry

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the green barrels are somewhat flexible and take abuse better than a garbage can. We don't use ours too often any more. Now we use Bagsters. much better for our operation.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't matter if its a green barrel or a commercial grade rubbermaid barrel, they are MUCH better made. I have a few rubbermaid barrels that are going to be 8 years old and still in good shape.My green barrels are 3 years old and are good as new. Buy the homeowner trash cans and they might last 2 years. You get what you pay for! I use mine for grass, leaves, anything!

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I remember when I was first starting. I used to see all the big guys with those green barrels.

Boy.

When I first bought one, I felt I was bigtime then.

6. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

i heard you can buy them at home depot. is that true?

7. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I herd of them here on lawnsite. I have never seen a company in my area with any

8. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

They hold more grass and have a wider stance.

I saw a couple orange ones, anyone know where to find orange (green) barrels?

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

YES you can get them at home depot. I have got two of them and love them. Gone through the metal handles the first yesr, but now I have rope for them.Spring and fall cleanups are the only times I use these. They hold more than normal trash cans...

10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

damn, miss those barrels.... I can't find em' anywhere down here. I've seen one ONCE on the back of an LCO's trailer.... never have I come across one for sale... damn damn damn...
    Any Carolinians know where I can pick one up, let me know...