1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats up with MasterChute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dc33, Apr 24, 2006.

1. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I orderd a MasterChute about a month ago and hooked it to my Lazer Z, I opted to use the hand switch rather than the foot peddal. About 10 mins into my first lawn the fuse blew, so I replaced it then about 15 mins later it blew again. I contacted them and he sugested a 30 amp fuse. Tried that, lasted bout 5 mins, put another in it opened and closed once then died, put another in a nothing, put a 10 amp back in and nothing. I sent it back to them and got the same hand switch control harness back with a new chute....and 10 mins into it its blown again!!
    wtf is goin on?!?!?!

Im going to try and hook up the foot peddal and see how that goes.

The only thing I can think of is I have the factory light kit, which was installed by the dealer. It has a 10 amp fuse too, but that doesnt blow when I used them together. After the first time the MasterChute's fuse blew I diconnected the negative hookup for the lights, there was no hookup to the positve.

Does anyone have any clue whats going on?? Anybody else had these problems?
    For the 20-30mins it had been working I loved it, but its causing far more trouble than it seems worth now. I may just get a maunal QuikChute.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! :dancing:
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a Quikchute over two years and nothing has gone wrong. Of course no fuses etc. to worry about to go bad. Sometimes simple and sturdy is better.

I need call them to see if they make one for my Hustler 36" walkbehind.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect that you have a wireing problem (after the fuse), pull back the hot lead from the chute and check for a bare spot (missing insulation) or a untaped splice.
    If you have replaced the chute and switch wireing is the only item left (chances of getting two faulty units in a row is next to impossible.
    My Master Chute is still going strong (had to replace the motor once) after four years of use - Foot Switch.

4. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Jon from MasterChute called me a sugested time delay glass 30 amp fuses, hope it works, last time he just said 30 amp and those blew.

they're on order for tommorrow hopefully, apparently noone has em in stock and only a few places acually carry em :(
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you're problems will continue. If all of the wiring is done correctly it sure sounds like a problem with a motor although you would think they would have shipped you a different motor. Or there is a wire bared somewhere along the loop for sure. Good luck!
  6. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure that the slow blow 30 amp fuse will work either. The TR30A fuse will delay a over current but it will eventually blow over time. I feel like either the motor or whatever is opening and closing this chute is in a bind causing the motor to work a lot hard causing more current flow or there is a short to ground somewhere. In between the incoming and the chute. I hope that some of this information helps.

Is there any other kind of circuitry other than a fuse and motor like a relay or anything involved with this Master Chute?
  7. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Master chute and so far it has worked great! you have probably already checked this but make sure that none of the prongs on the back side of the switch are touching each other or anything else. You might want to pull off the harness and check continuity of all the wires on the harness. make sure that the positive cable coming off of the battery is not chaffed or the insulation is worn off and exposing wire. If all of those check out good then it is more than likely in the motor. Hope this helps you out.
  8. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

argh, this keeps getting harder

I dont know crap bout electical stuff

He sent me a new chute cover/motor
    and he said he tested the harness and it worked fine, even though he sent me back the exact same one I had, blown 10 amp fuse and all

the wires as far as I can tell are fine, not strpped or crimped or anything, so I dont know what to think, maybe it is the harness and I need a new one.

It gets better, he told me the 10 amp blade fuses are what they used since the maunfacture ran out of the 30 amp time delay ones...great. Just got the time delay one today and its a freakin cylinder, so its not gonna fit into the blade fuse slot! Argh!!!!! SOB!! I just want this freaking thing to work and work right!!!
    Hopefully whatever the problem is its just solved and solved fast!! I emailed him asking if he could send a harness with a fuse holder that can hold the cylinder glass fuse, thus if its the harness I get it replaced (if its the harnesses fault) and I can have the glass fuse holder installed and hopefully be done with this.

This has been just one HUGE headache and problem after problem over and dang OCDC!!!
  9. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

not as far as I can tell.
    two wires goto the battery and one down to the chute, thats it :dizzy:
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking that the motor wouldn't draw that many amps for a long period of time to use a relay, but I was just asking anyway. It seems as though you may have a short somewhere. Maybe you can get a test light or DVOM to test from each wire to ground to see if you have a short. Hope this helps. Oh yea if the original fuse that is shipped with the master chute is a 10A fuse and they are telling you to install a 30A something doesn't sound right. What is your main fuse rated at?