Whats up with "Sta-Green" products

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mg10117, Dec 28, 2007.

1. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

I am recently licensed (Core and 3B) still learning and would love some advice...I get most of my fert ext.. at Lesco, but prices are going way up:confused:...anyway I was walking through Lowes tonight and saw 2 large pallets of fert and weed and feed on sale...(Sta-Green Weed & Feed 28-2-4) for $6.74 a bag and (Sta-Green Fert 29-2-5) for $4.74 a bag...Whats the deal with this stuff...why is it so cheap...marked down from $27.00 & $19.00 a bag. Thanks for any help..

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I would guess??lowes wants to move it as it is out of season and inventory coming up?
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How many K's does the bag cover or how what is the bag size? Is there any SRN?

I only use professional grade products (100% Lesco) and would never use a dry weed control...but that is just me!

More then likely since it is "store grade" it is a bigger prill and would't do a very good job of sticking to weeds anyway. Big prills usually bounce off and you don't get a very good kill!

My advice...stay away from it and buy everything from Lesco!
  4. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

i believe both bags covered 15 K each...
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Consumer size bags usually cover 5000 sqft and weigh about 18 pounds.

I would say go for it, if it fits your program. Dry weed control is not as good as liquid. And be sure that the bags are not hard--you can't use it if you cannot spread it.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Wow...that is a steal.
    Does it have any SRN or SCU?

With the price of fert....I guess I would probably buy it and just work it away as a regular maintenance fert!

This is about a 30% savings on that analysis compared to what it is going for right now! Has it been stored inside? I got a "good deal" several years ago on some fert and got it home and the bottom bags were wet. Couldn't even use the product!
  7. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

yeah...I agree...I dont use dry weed control either ...but the fert might be worth a shot...being that the price is so low...and yes..they are 50 lbs bags

8. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

as for SRU or SCU...I will have to go back and check it out more thoroughly..i was in a rush... i was at the store with crying hungry baby haha!! and yes, it looked dry...i'll get back to you with mor info...
  9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is no slow release, just save it for your winterizer app.
  10. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Most of the Lowes stores are wiping out inventory so as to start taking in spring shipments. I have local one to me that has called too that is wiping out fertilizer at similar prices, its last season's inventories but should be in good condition provided no moisture has gotten into the packaging. Yes, they usually have a poly coated Urea for slow release too, its usually a good product and amazingly its usually a standard or even a mini prill which gives a good coverage!