What's up with the 6 week itch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I pray I never see another thread about employees. The ones that make it to 6 weeks seem (in my case) to start the complaining process, seem to think they have some ownership in the company, never have money for food or drinks, start on about their pay (not enough) or just plain complain.

One guy starting telling me when we would skip an account. Then when asked to do something, felt it was his job to dictate the working order...."NO, I'll mow and YOU can pull the weeds!!!"....LOL.

I honestly feel like I am losing it.

I pay a decent wage. I have recently starting getting tougher....not that I was a push over.

ANYONE have the secret to good help? Or, is solo really the only way to go?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There are good employees, just hard to find. I see your in ontario. Maybe you need to get an american. Im in Florida and I have a canadian working for me. He is good and has been with me for about 5 years now. My wife thinks its funny because she is from Canada too.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

SOLO is the only way to go

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Fast, just remind him who writes the checks. Be nice, smile and even kinda joke alittle, then give him the pissed off straight face and tell him, now go pull the F'ing weeds before I find someone who will. :D

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We've usually had really good results with the Human Resources Canada website

jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Intro_an.aspx

or search

Human Resources Canada

6. Liquidfast

from Ontario

UPDATE: Today, he "WATCHED" me pull weeds after asking him to. Then he pointed out several roofers working and commented on how much money they make. "I bet those guys get a ton of money".

He then asked for more hours. I ask him to push a property that I normally ride. Halfway thru, he says that we have an equipment malfunction. I take string and replace the chute (that was the HUGE break down) and he then rolls his eyes and off he goes.

He asked why he can't get paid a day before payday. I tell him to ease off the booze and his money will last. OH....he has to get his pay into the bank quickly to get his credit rating better :hammerhead::hammerhead::confused:. Then he goes on to say he GOOGLE landscaping positions and discovered the majority of landscapers get paid daily.....LOL. I ll work for a company that does that.....for sure. I offered more hours thru a good friend of mine that landscapes and he REFUSES to work for someone else........cuz they actually might make him work.

I give in and pay him early. NOT EVEN 20 MINUTES LATER, he is tired...."We worked 5 hours straight" he says.

I ask him to put the equipment down and get into the truck. We start to drive. "Where are we going?" he asks.......3 minutes from his house :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

I get him to the door, shake his hand and thank him for the time he has put into my business.

Two hours later, my phone rings telling me he won $30 on a scratch ticket....money well spent. I tell him to make sure he hangs onto it cuz today is and was his last day.

I will save $1700 per month. The 2-4 coffees a day...the friggin free lunches I packed for him daily.....I should be rich soon fellas.

lastly....I was schmoozing a customer who is spending $7000 on landscaping the first week of October. I dropped him off down the road to complete 2 props on his own. He arrives and asks "What have you done since I was gone?" I chuckled.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand, what is the problem?

8. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Nothing topsite. All is good........now.

9. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep! sometimes when i'm out on the route, and its smoking hot out, i would say to myself, "sure would be nice to have a helper doing the trimming" then i wake up and realize that how many more accounts i would need and have to do, to have that helper. SOLO and the only way for me too! :drinkup:

10. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

I use Mexican's... most work their butt off. Happy to have a job.