Whats up with the Chainsaws?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Premier GreenScape

Premier GreenScape LawnSite Member

On the Gulf Coast, a chain saw and a trailer can make a lot of money after a tropical storm. We just went through a sever drought last year and lost a lot of trees. Some I will cut down and some I call in an expert for.

2. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

You guys mentioned good points which I will look into. So how do I go advertising this type of service or does it come with the territory of just being a lawn care guy.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Goes with the business, I really don't go looking for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It's just a tool on my trailer, so when I need it, it's there. I don't advertise chainsaw work. Watch craigslist to see what the different brands are going for used. If you come across a awesome deal, jump on it. Other than that I'd just wait until you have a job where it would come in handy. I bought mine from a client for $100 Stihl Farm Boss with I think 20" bar.

5. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep an echo linemans saw on the trailer at all times. Its so handy and they are pretty inexpensive. You can make a lot of money really quick doing tree work. I've made 100/hr removing stuff on the ground.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 saws and use them all the time, I actually cant imagine not having atleast one decent sized saw in this business.

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

we burn wood year round, (outdoor stove) to keep the shop heated, hot water heater... so we cut a lot of wood and have a lot of saws. For the company a saw is extremely handy as others have stated, however.... you need to be careful about what your insurance covers as far as crossing over into general liability vs. doing something that a arborist should be doing. I have checked on and off about getting coverage, but it's just too much money to justify, plus the fact having someone who has the rigging and such to be able to climb and limb properly. But besides that, a good saw with between a 16"-18" bar should be part of your equipment.

8. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

The Stihl MS 170 is a great saw just replaced it with the MS210 which has a little bigger engine and has the toolless adjustment on the chain. Well worth the extra $. We carry a chain saw on each trailer never know when your going to find that big limb laying in someones yard and you cant get it in the truck without one. Once you own a saw you will never know how you got by without one. We dont advertize that we have them but they get used all the time.