whats up with the grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, May 13, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I know this is prime growing season but is it me or is the grass here in the northeast (mass anyways) growing extremley fast. The lawns I cut only 1 week ago almost tripled in growth from last week. Looks good but takes more time to cut..

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this week due to the rain and the heat, which finally hit the 70's and 80's, made the lawns shoot up so fast. I know that this may sound stupid, but I love to mow drought lawns compared to lawns that are so thick that you have no choice but to bag them

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, the lawns are definitley growing quick this year, it's a little crazy, but at the same time, it's a good thing. Alot of customers are asking for cuts 5 days apart which becomes extra income for me, not a bad side effect.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its growing so fast lawns i just did 6 days ago look like they havnt been touched in 3 weeks.I have been forced to cut at 4 inches on some lawns and even double cut or bag.On a good note i had two customers ask me to mow twice a week untill the grass slows down.

5. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

out west here we have had the moisture, but not the heat, soon as the Sun comes out the Grass will perk up.

6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I have to cut my own grass (fescue) 2-3x per week. It's jammin' here.

7. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Man, since last week these lawns are growing extremely fast. I found it is a good time to raise prices on customers that you think you might have under bid because they see how hard you are working in the 6 inches of grass.

Lasher

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The grass is out of control with its growth rate around here. To keep everything looking nice you need to really setup the mower frequency or else double cut to disperse the clippings.

Gravely_Man

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's growing like the dickens here too. But this I can handle. It's when crabgrass grows like the dickens that I don't like it.