1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats up with the guys who park right in front of the lawns they are mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been doing this for over 12 years and can probably count on one hand the times I have parked in front of a lawn I am cutting. My truck is nice and I can't imagine spraying the side of it up with grass clippings and rocks and pebbles while edging and trimming...

I see lawn guys do this all the time and I shake my head in amazement of how they park their 30-50 thousand dollar trucks right in harms way!

Today I saw a guy who is doing a lot of lawns in a neighborhood I have 8 yards in. He parks right along the curb in front of the lawns he is doing and today I almost fell off my mower as he pulled up.... BOTH sides of his truck were absolutely plastered with dried up grass clippings. I don't think even if I tried I could get that much grass on a truck! :hammerhead:

Not to mention that these guys never really blow the street off well since the dam truck is in the way!

I always park in front of the next door neighbors house, or across the street.

Yeah I have had a few people complain that I am parking in front of their house and not the one I am cutting, but I nicely explain that I do this so I can keep my truck from getting damaged and so I don't leave grass clippings in the street. If the people still give me crap I tell them that it is legal to park in the street in front of their house, it is a legal right of way, and to go inside and stop bothering me!

Anyway, what is everyone else doing?
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if you do the double cleanup first and weedeat towards the lawn, then it's no big deal. But, i understand what you are saying.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

None of our maintenance trucks are worth $30,000 - $50,000. They're work trucks, not show trucks. Yes, they are professional looking. Good paint jobs and nice lettering. But I'm planning on them getting beat up. I'm banking on the fact that I'll have to re-paint them and re-letter them every few years. I could care less if my guys get a ding or scrape on one of our trucks. Like I said, they're work trucks.

To me, I think the crazier thing is buying a $30,000 - $50,000 truck and then going around using it to mow lawns.

I personally drive a nicer truck. But then again, all I am doing is just going around town giving estimates and running errands. If I were still mowing, I would defiinitely have one nice truck and one work truck. And I would park the work truck as close to the work as possible. I'm not going to park a half block away and walk my mower up the street just to protect my little "baby".

That's my 2 cents.
  4. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

I Park as close to the yard as I can. I have an old f350 work truck that I will sling rocks at all day as long as the windows are down. My sunday truck stays in the garage most of the time but I can't see working out of a brand new truck. You have to look good but that is just silly. I can jump in dripping with sweat and muddy boots and not give a crap what my feet are touching. That is what I think.
  5. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i park right infront of every lawn i cut...i never get lawn clippings plastered on it, and i do not leave clippings in the street...the only way i will park in front of a neighbors yard is if the one i am cutting is blocked...doen's make any sense to me to park across the street and have extra walking to and from much less crossing the street with the idiot drivers we have in our city...
  6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess it is different in our local area.... I have a new 2005 Chevy - only paid 16 grand for it - and it is cheap compaired to what alot of the others are driving. I see Ford F-350s, Chevy 4 door Silverados, Ram 2500's... Big Diesel trucks with all the trimmings pulling trailers. Heck one of my best friends does lawns and he has a Ram he paid over 50 grand for, leather, wood grain dash the works! Guess around here it is one of those deals where everyone wants a nice truck period, work truck or personal.

I hear what you guys are saying, you would rather have a truck you can get dirty or dented or whatever for work, and leave your nice truck home for Sunday afternoon drives.... I guess I am just different, I try to take care of my stuff. My truck looks and still smells like new and it is a year old and nearing 18 thousand miles, the bulk of that was pulling my lawn trailer around working! Heck I took my 3 year old mower up the the lawnmower shop today - bought a new Scag, and they are selling my old one on consignment - and the owner of the shop thought my old mower was my new one. He couldn't tell which was which - and my old mower has 1359 hours and 3 years of use on it!!!
  7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I do like you Ron, typically I park next door or directly across the street. I really don't do this to keep the truck clean, more so to make it easier to edge and blow. I like to park so when I drop the trailer gate I'm at the foot of the customer's driveway, which often means I'm next door...
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine trying to REALLY honestly make a LIVING out of a nice new truck.

Not unless it had commercial/fleet/utility interior.

My one truck is an XLT which 'can' look nice inside.
    But it's impossible to keep the carpet and upholstery clean.

A nice new decked out truck would just be a headache for me.
  10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If I threw grass out into the street or against my truck or anyone elses I'd be fired. Who desides the city really mows that way in town??? I mulch most of the time anyway so no side discharging into the street period. Most of our cliets are in high end residential areas Dr, Lawyers, not the way to make a good impression.