What's up with this Siding?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Jun 7, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. I know this is a forum for landscaping. And my question is about siding - for a house. But the description of this forum reads, "Landscapers Discuss Design, Architecture, Installation, Equipment, Plant Stock, Estimating, etc." and this is an architecture question so I guess this is the right forum.....

Anyway, check out these photos below. What the heck is up with this siding? It's something new I've never seen before today. You'll look at the photos and think I doctored them. I swear I did not. These are the actual photos from my phone camera taken this morning.

The siding facing the street is all warbled. It's the wood itself that is warbled. And it's been done on purpose. At first, I thought someone just totally didn't know what they were doing with siding. But if you look in the photo, the rest of the siding on the house is normal. Just this front was done this way. Anyone ever seen this before. Freakin' weird looking!

2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I was thinking someone had some sort of scalloped edged boards they replaced a few pieces of siding at one time, but they dont even seem to be in any sort of pattern....no clue.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

is it supposed to simulate "rough sawn" lumber?
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

yep.....that's right
  5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Where I live, siding like that is slabs - wood run through the sawmill twice instead of 4 times. Pretty common form of siding for the rustic look.
  6. bike5200

bike5200 LawnSite Member
    from Ky

It look like vinyl siding that got hot and melted or sagged.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No. It's definitely wood. Most of those "dips" are right around or underneath knots in the wood. It's hard to see from the photo, but I was able to see it better close-up.

Definitely a weird look. I am not sure it looks "rustic". It just looks weird to me.
  8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member