1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's up with Toro hydro w/b???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clay, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I was just thinking of ordering a Toro hydro T-bar 17Kawi with 44" deck and proslide, but was just reading about the "new version" toro hydros having problems with tearing the turf...

What's up with that? How are the new versions different from the old ones???

The whole point in me getting a w/b was to use on the soft turf out here on the Oregon Coast... My Z is simply too heavy much of the time....

Thanks, Clay
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd like to be able to answer your question, but unfortunately I can't even find a nearby hydro to demo at the 4 dealer's I've checked. It's all ZTR's and belt drive wb's.

The Toro rep at a local dealer's pro day I went to strongly suggested that I pass on their Hydro, he said it was too jerky. Others here own them and disagree. Yet others agree with his accessment.
  3. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

I tried out a 52 hydro T-bar last year it was so bad I took it back and they gave me another. The new day I took IT back.

The problem:::

Touchy is not the word. This thing would leave black marks on the pavement when unloading it from the trailer. I have been running Toro T- Bar hydros for 7 years, love em but I could not get this thing to stop tearing. It would tear even if coming ever so gently to a complete stop TEAR and then turn. the tires would just lock.

I did like the way it climbed a hill though. but I could not use it.

I rebuilt the engine 20hp Kohler and got a new deck for my old 52.

next year its a Hustler for me. My dealer just started carrying them.
  4. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks for the answers guys... Hard to believe there are not more toro hydro owners out there ready to defend or explain their machine's perfomance???