whats up with zoysia grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CutRight, May 7, 2006.

1. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

just looking for some information and opinions.

im in connecticut, zone 6.

had a customer call me today interested in renovating his lawn and planting zoysia grass, he wanted me to give him some information and an opinion about what he should do. he says that he likes the idea that you dont have to mow it as often, and other stuff, i could barely understand him, lets just say he doesnt speak very good english. but anyways. hes not a mowing client of mine so i dont really care that it wont grow as often.

so basically if anyone has any knowledge about this stuff it would be appreciated.

2. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

I think you are about 200 miles too far north for it to grow. The line seems to run east west from lower Maryland through St. Louis and Kansas City.

3. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i thought. thanks. actually exactly what i wanted to hear.

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia.....You are way north and it would be dormat 6 months of the year? If you did get it going at all.

5. Rocket J

Rocket J LawnSite Member

I have yet another customer here who has Zoysia and Fescue mixed together. What is a good cutting height for one is wrong for the other.

6. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Contact the OLCA or the OSU Turfgrass dept. I am sure they have researched it.

7. Rocket J

Rocket J LawnSite Member

Yes, that is a good idea.

There used to be an OSU AG extension around here but it went bye-bye.

They were always helpful, though.

Thanks.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

CutRight,
    You can plant zoysia in CT. I have 2 customers w/ zoysia and other cool season grasses mixed in. It isn't a very fine lawn until the zoysia kicks in from june to September, but its nice when everything is growing together.

I've never planted zoysia, but I'd imagine it must be a PITA because you have to plant plugs and then it creeps to expand.