what's ur best timing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, May 4, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I'm trying to quote this guy's 2 acre vacant lot.
    Land is pretty smooth and grass is about 4 " tall now.
    I have 36" scag belt with sulky.
    How long do you think it will take? And how much should I charge?

I have in my mind 2.5 hours and $150 for cost.
    What do you think?:confused:

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

A 36" Exmnark Metro @ 80% eff. is 1.75 acres an hour.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So you a 36" mower and plan to charge $60 per hour to mow it. If you had a bigger mower then you could do this in no time. Don't try to penalize the customer because you only have a 36" mower. You will lose this job, in my opinion if you give a $150 price on a 2 acre vacant lot. Someone with the right equipment could cut that in 20-30 minutes for $60. You are trying to get to much per hour for a 36" mower.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

What you need to do is find out what the average price/acre in your area is. Around here $60-$65/acre is average, but that also includes trimming and blowing. If there's excessive or little to no trimming the rate is adjusted accordingly. For your situation it sounds like there's very little trimming and no blowing/clean-up. In a case like that I would consider doing it for as little as $45/acre.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Im with Hoss..but bid it for what you need to get to make a living, if you have figured you need $30.00 an hour to make it..then dont bid less than $75.00...if you figure you need $80 an hour to make it dont bid less than $200.00......I hate it when I underbid a job I hate to even show up to the account...make sure you get enough that your happy when you leave.

6. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Hey serrico, I run a 36" Scag belt drive without a sulky and can mow 1 acre properties with a good amount of edging and trimming in about an hour and 10 minutes. With a sulky and very little trimming and edging, I'm sure it would be closer to about 45 minutes. I think you may be guessing a little high on time which is inflating your price. Of course, I haven't seen the property you are talking about, and I don't know how quick you are so I don't know for sure. Hope this helps.

7. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

THANKS GUYS.
    I FINALLY GAVE MY CUSTOMER A PRICE. $100
    HE IS HAPPY AND I'M HAPPY BECAUSE HE WILL GIVE ME ANOTHER PROPERTY.

THANKS FOR HELP AND YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!:D

8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me with a 36", mowing only, two acres, 2 hrs.

One time: $90
    Weekly: $72

But I would rather do it with a 61" and be out of there in under 45 minutes for the same price.

I charge $1 per deck inch per hour and tack on a surcharge for one time jobs.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard that one!

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

That's a new one on me too. Never even thought of it that way.