What's with all this plastic???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by upsondown, Feb 22, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I write this in frustration.......I'm beginning to wonder if any manufacturer out here makes a decent 21" walk behind that doesn't incorporate a bunch of plastic.......I've seen everything from engine covers to wearable parts that are made of plastic on every make and model that I've looked at and am pretty disgusted - since we all know - PLASTIC BREAKS !! What's the deal with craftsmanship anymore?? I really have an issue with paying 1k for a 21" that's nothing but a plastic piece of junk. If ANYONE knows of a brand that is different - I sure would like to know about it.
    Dave

2. mr-mow

mr-mow LawnSite Member

You shuold look at the John Deer modles there great, we have a 21" Deer w/ a mulching deck, and for the past 2 yrs its never failed us. Its very welll made hardly no plastic, self propeld so theres no conplaining about pushing up hills or its to hard to push. There is oil filters for the moter that are very easy to get to and change and not very costly to buy.The only thing that really bothers me it the wheels are made of plasic and we have had to replace one from running it over with a turf tiger......opps. Well hope this helps ya some happy mowing

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Bobcat 21, pay $800.00 for it. Never do a thing again except replace engines when they blow. Our oldest one is 21 years.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw one recently called "tru-cut"
    this hting was a tank. cast deck
    steel wheels
    robin or honda engine(I can't remember)
    The drive system and bag were like snappers only heavier.
    If I used a 221" all the time I would look closer at this one.

5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Tru-cut has a Honda engine. They are making mowers that last two or three years and then they have to be replaced. If they make them too good how can they sell mowers. I have an old metal top Honda (HRC216) and it is about ten years old. It is to the point now that it is hard to get parts for it or even look them up. The plastic they have now is really pretty durable.

6. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

If you think the exterior of the mower has too much plastic, you should look at the internals of it. I have rebuilt a few small engines in ag class. Some crucial parts such such as the cam and the cam gear were made of plastic depending on the model. What's next a plastic piston and valves?

7. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

You guys talk about plastic like it is a bad thing. Remingtion now makes a rifle with a plastic bolt. If plastic is safe in a rifle, I don't think you have anything to worry about in a mower. Not all plastics are equal.

8. upsondown

I'm sorry - but the only thing I will tolerate made of plastic - is forks, spoons and knives when we're having a cookout. If my wife set the table with "plastic" - she'd be wearing it up the crack of her a**. As for lawmowers and rifles - if it is made of plastic - I'll leave that for the kids to play with............. You say not all plastic is created equal??? Had any auto body work done lately? I'll take my '63 Chevy bumpers anyday over an '04 model. The prices keep going through the roof and the quality is plain crap. I talked with our local Honda dealer yesterday and he was as ticked off as I am - that the workings in some of their engines are "plastic" believe it or not. Give me steel or it ain't no deal !
    Dave:blob2:

9. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how to quote so I'll just paste your comment here. You made my point exactly.

Had any auto body work done lately? I'll take my '63 Chevy bumpers anyday over an '04 model. The prices keep going through the roof and the quality is plain crap. I talked with our local Honda dealer yesterday and he was as ticked off as I am - that the workings in some of their engines are "plastic" believe it or not.

Just like I said, all are not created equal. It has to do with the quality of the mold and material, just like everything else. There are some plastics that are stronger than steel. I repeat again, not all plastics are the same. You can't blame the material for lack of quality control. For my last point, just because you and your dealer don't like it doesn't mean you're right. I think a lot of our debate has to do with our generation difference. I think within a few years plastics will be used in a lot more engines and there will no longer be a debate about the quality. Again it has to do with how it's made and if the right blend is used, not just the material itself.

edit: By the way, I'm not saying I'm right but sometimes we just need to broaden our views a little bit. Just because it was true 20 years ago doesn't mean it is true today or 5 years from now.

10. upsondown

let's just agree to disagee on this one.

Dave