Whats with B&S lately!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Sep 17, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I went to buy a new air filter for my Dixon the other day. I went to BOTH local Dixon dealers, who are also B&S dealers... Well, NEITHER of them have ever seen an airfilter like the one on my mower...including the dealer i bought it from! So what i am wondering... did they change their design of the 20 HP engines about June, so that it wouldnt be in the partsbook? It is a 20 HP Extended Live series twin cyl. It REALLY p***** me off to buy a new mower that I cant even get an air filter for. I was worried about parts availability when Husq. bought Dixon... well, it aint Dixon parts i need, it is B&S!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't know what the deal is with B&S and those 'extended life" air filter elements. I tried to use the part number off of one of those filters to order in a supply. Our B&S parts supplier said it was a bad number, and that it did not exist in the system. Since the engine is in a small Grasshopper, I ordered the filter (using the Grasshopper parts number), from Grasshopper. The filter arrived in 2 days, and was in a B&S box, with the B&S part number right on the box.
    It seems that B&S parts folks have not updated their listings to include these new "extended life" filters.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am sure that it is the same filter... maybe i could just order it through a GH dealer?

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Do your Extended Life filters say "washable" on them?

Seems this is a familiar situation to me. Please post some model and spec numbers from that engine. I'd like to compare and see if it is the same crap I've run into. The part shows up in the "quick reference book", but when you go to order the part number it doesn't come up as a valid number.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno... last time I looked you could buy those filters just about anywhere.
    The thick white ones... shelf stock you grab yourself.

However, I don't use those. I use the ones with the foam prefilter and automotive style cartridge. Those are not as easy to find.

But anyways, pick up the phone and call Briggs. They may have an AWOL part number there, and will certainly straighten out what's wrong so you can get what you need.

But for now, I would go get it from whoever has it.

6. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

I have a 24hp and a 16hp Briggs ELS and I have ordered filters from Briggs online and the Lowes in my area carries both. Also, Mowpart.com has them.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I ran into the same thing. We stock most Briggs filters but I had one come in on a homeowner tractor that had one of the ELS engines. It said washable on it but I think it was a little past its prime at that point so had to order a replacement. I think it was backordered for a few days as well.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Cant stock everything.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Be careful. The "washable" ones are grayish in color.