1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What's with my trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bugspit, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The tires you put on should be trailer tires not car or truck tires. Pump them up to 50 psi. Make sure you trailer is level. It matters what the height of the tongue is when it's hooked up. It matters how you load the mower, try to center the weight. It was build to pull straight and it should.

bill

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That happened to me when i first loaded the Dixie on my trailer.I found,after allot of playing around, that the only way it would pull good and straight is if i backed on with the back of the mower about 16'' from the front.That almost puts the front casters over the axle.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Your weight is too far forward. I have to watch this alot when towing a trailer behind my motorcycle. You need to have less than 100 lbs tongue weight and need to shift the ZTR further to the rear of the trailer.

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the opposite problem, mine was to far BACK and had to be moved FORWARD.

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

That's true also. Regardless the problem is the tongue weight. You have to have between about 30 and 60 lbs of tongue weight (depending on the total load) for the trailer to track properly.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's way too light. Tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the trailer's weight.

7. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Well according to the bathroom scales with my 1000lb mower loaded closest to the tounge and backed in, I read 300lbs for the tounge weight.

I'll rearrange tommorrow and see what i get.

Also just bumped the tire pressure (truck radial snow tires) to 45lbs

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

The snow tires could be part of your problem. IMO

I think mostly it is related to tongue loading though. One reason I like dual axles. Less affected by tongue weight changes.

9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

The tires were brought up earlier??? I'm curious if other people are running radials rather than real trailer tires, which I expect are bais-tires.

10. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

I use Carliel ST205/70/R14 trailer tires. They are only load "C", but I've had really good luck with them. They are radials, but are made for trailers.

I just bought a new spare, mounted on a white spoked rim today. Cost me $111.64 total. I might have been able to buy one for less someplace else. I went to my local trailer dealer where I do all my trailer business.

I also go ahead and get them balanced. Cost just a little more, but I feel like they ride better that way.