1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's with my trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bugspit, Apr 5, 2004.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I also run radial trailer tires. There is a difference. They have different flex characteristics loaded and unloaded then a car or truck tire. Remember a vehicle has an average load on it all the time. A trailer tire can see huge variances in load weight.

Always have you tires balanced!

Still think your problem in tongue weight, but tires, especially snows which are even more different, could be magnifying the problem.
  2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to "WEIGH IN" on this discussion (sorry, had to say it). I TOO think the problem is TOO MUCH TONGUE WEIGHT on your truck. I have 3 different trailers. Depending on how they are loaded they will act in 3 different ways:

1) Drive correctly (when loaded correctly)
    2) Rock the truck front to back (as you describe) when loaded with TOO MUCH weight on the tongue.
    3) Rock the truck from side to side when loaded with NOT ENOUGH tongue weight.

I'd shift the mower back a little and get more weight on the trailer axle.

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Tested today with 50lbs in unbalanced radial tires and Cub backed in, tounge weight 300lbs...no change, hunching like a horny dog.

Same setup but drove Cub in FWD, this centers more weight on the axle, tounge weight 275lbs...felt much better.:blob3:
    I tried this earlier but had lower air psi in tires 35lbs and it did the hunching.

So I got some options,
    I liked backing in because it gave me a little more room (5X8 trailer) but that's no big deal.
    I don't want to change tires because these are almost new freebies and I got two more just like em under the house. But I believe I will get em balanced.

I could use a 10' trailer so I'll keep my eye open and might work up a swap somehow.
    I also have some heavier rear springs for my Ranger that I might try but, anyway it's narrowed down to Cub placement and the tires and YOU GUYS helped me figure it out, so a BIG THANKS to YOU GUYS. :waving: