What's with the BS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have only been a member of LS for about 6 months or so. I have spent dozens of hours reading the replies from people who I recognize as being real authorities and professionals in the lawn care and landscaping busines. People like LawnGodFather, 65Hoss, JimLewis, 1GrnLwn, Matthew, Kirby, Papps, Paul, and a host of others.

Now, what troubles me is when these gentlemen offer their free expertise, business savvy, and knowledge with the rest of us newcomers, there is always someone out there who thinks they are smarter than them. And then (are you ready for this?), they want to argue with them over something they probably know nothing or very little about.

Well, Hellooooooooooooooo, these guys have forgotten more than most us know. At least for the present. When is the majority of us going to recognize these people are here to help, guide, and make us successful?

I'm sorry...I'm too tired of beginners and novices arguing wth the real pros. I read it daily in the threads and replies. I understand there are many different regions in this country and elsewhere. But come on, give EVERYONE a break.

You get a whole lot more out of listening, than you do out of talking. Listen to these pros, stop trying to be them until you're as good or better as one of them. I like their help in their responses...I'll be damned if only one of them gets mad enough to not respond anymore...because some beginner has ticked them off. Enuff already.

my 2 cents.

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Ha! I know more than you Rod! Your dumb! J/K

That's what their saying, it's true, they ask for help, and they get snippy, I'm probably one of the least knowledgable people here, but I try, and I'm learning, but I'm still just a kid. Us newbies need to take notes from the great ones.

Why didn't you mention Stone on your list? Hahaha.

Hank

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

This is a community... a community makes up all kinds of.. well, everyone and everything.

I'm not arguing with your list of "pro's" but have you seen anyones tax statements or have you been given a tour of their company or background?

Again, this is a community of many, many different company types, sizes, locations, sales volume, etc., etc., etc.... That's what has made this site so great for so many years. Go with the flow... it works.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

good post chuck, i totally agree.

5. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

That's why we have 2 ears and one mouth...listening is the biggest part of this biz. If you listen to your clients, they will tell exactly what they want, then, you repeat it back to them with sincere interest and now they think you're the smartest, most personal operator out there. As for the smart #$s remarks, that made me stop posting too. Been at this too long to put up with someone that knows it all after 6 mos. . Been at it for over 20 yrs. and I hope I never know it all.

6. rodfather

Stone too...and a whole bunch of others as well. I think I made my point in that i don't want to p--s off and make stupid remarks to people who truly know what's going on out there. I like their help and advice

7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

That is the best post I've seen in a long time. We all know what were doing with our business, we all have our own ideas and goals and dreams, this place is just a place to get ideas that we like and find ways to become more efficient. The problem comes when someone tries to force their business views on someone else. It's our own thing, we put in our whole life to it, we know what were doing. Different strokes for different folks. Some like a big volume of accounts, some like a couple large accounts to make high profit, some like a mix, that's what makes us all unique.

Hank

8. rodfather

I apologize to those who misunderstood I have only been in business for 6 months (yes, 6 months as a member of LS, but 8 years as LCO).

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! If you have enough intelligence, you will be able to weed out the ones that talk through their a$$! Besides, we all will have our opinion on who seems to know their stuff and who doesn't. I've gotten alot of good input here along with alot of dribble. I can decipher between the two.

10. rodfather

I think some of you don't understand what I'm trying to say...I have never looked at or read a Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, or P & L Statement of any of the "pros" i made mention. I merely used their names becuase they made many replies to many threads and their responses seemed to me to be the most accurate. how much money they make, how many employees they have, and how much equipment they have, I really don't care. I just like to pick their brains...they seem to know what's going on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.