1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's With The Squirrels This Year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Oct 2, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Anybody notice as of late that the squirrels seem to know something that we don't know? Around here they appear to be on a mission, with this early cold snap and snow just south of us.. I am beginning to wonder If they can sense a brutal winter coming:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I could also have too much time on my hands too....since it has rained for 5 days straight:mad:
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Funny you mentioned this.....another guy and I were just talking about this just a couple of days ago. They are going like crazy also.....here in Kansas.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it's because they are NUTZ..get it nuts...LOL

Hey, I thought it was funny
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

but yes I have noticed that they are being more active and also defending their territory a lot more
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ever notice that they have a brain the size of a pea. They run in front of cars, then go all the way back across the road, then back in front of the car. They do all this to simply cross the road. No, i dont think they "know" something we dont, i think maybe its that you have too much time on your hands.
  6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

As soon as it starts to get cold they go wild down here. I try not to run over them when they double cross the road, but I only miss the first time they cross the second time they might get lucky. haha.
  7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

It's funny to read this post becuase I noticed many more squirrels today than usual. And today, for some reason, they were brave. Usually they are gone when they see me coming across my yard Today they stood up and looked at me and didn't move until I was really close. The did seem to be moving really fast, like they had to get things done quick.

Animals have good instincts, maybe we should listen to them.
  8. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

Animals develop patterns and have a sensitivity to atmospheric phenomina we cannot detect. Geese have brains the size of peas but they can still navigate thousands of miles and hit the same pond each year.

My yellow lab started developing a heavy undercoat in August when it was still in the triple digits temp-wise. It may be a pattern related to sun spots, or whatever. I dunno.

Anybody else notice heavier coats on your pets?

We may actually get a freeze this year (horrors).
  9. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Funny you mentioned about heavier coats....My Fiance just mentioned to me how fat our outside cat has gotten recently......It isn't fat I said....He's a big hairball and it is pretty early for that.
  10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

after saturday there will be a few less squirrels around here :)