1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's with this call I received?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I received a call today and the guy wants an estimate on mowing, edging, and a fall clean-up.
    Mowing at this time of the season?
    What's this guy up to? I haven't called back yet.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

pick him up for next year and avoid the gaps at the beginning of the season. I have already picked up two and told them i will cut once or twice, spray out the lawn and put down a dormant feed. Both were extremly happy and now added them for next year.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if theres not more cuts start with the fall cleanup and cut next year but we still have probably 2 or 3 more here
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Customer trolling for a cheap leaf clean up....wants to make you think you will be getting his business next year if prices are good. Nothing wrong with that....we usually go for the bait and charge low amount to get them since business is slow at this time. We do require a 12 month contract before we do any cleanup.
  5. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh no the grasss is a foot tall, and the lawn is a foot deep in leafs. I just picked up one like that. Their 21" could not hanldle it.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

He probably just wants a fall cleanup and a good mowing/edging going into the winter. and if he likes your work and price, he may just sign you up for next season. call him back.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I will always consider these Fall opportunities. I don't have to compromise price at all. It is my opportunity to show the customer my work, without a long-term commitment. If I work a couple of times this season, and conclude I don't want them for next year, then I've not made a big commitment. On the other hand, if it is a right fit, them I will cultivate the opportunity for next season. Many of my regular customers have been late-season calls.

I agree with another post above -- don't get suckered into a promise for next year, with a less-than-right price for this year's work.

This happened today .... I finished up a job, had my mowers loaded and was blowing off the drive and walk. The next door neighbor backs from her drive, and pulls up behind my trailer. "... can you cut our lawn today, and save my husband from having to do it tomorrow?" I had one open slot of time for the full day, and said "Sure." I have worked next door for all season, and know the property pretty well. She asked "How much?" I told her and she said that is more than reasonable. She walked back to her house while I started trimming. She returned with a check for $10 more than I asked. When the job was finihed, I know exactly how long it will take. My estimate was right. When handing me the check, she asked if I might be interested in working the next season.

Since it is next door to an existing customer, I would like to have them as customers. I now know the property better after one cut, know that my quotation was right. It fits well with the equipment I have. And, it is about two blocks from my house, so pass it a couple of times per week during normal routes. So, I was pleased to have a "late Fall" inquiry.