what's wrong w/turf tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, May 9, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

my partner was mulching up some leaves and they were so thick it stopped the blades. Now when the blades are engaged it takes several seconds to get the blades up to speed and when in some good size grass the blades slow down , way down

what in the heck is wrong?

is it an easy fix?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the underside of the mowing deck look like? That would be my first guess. After that, the belt is the next most likely culprit, but I should assume you've looked at both of those.

Could be that the belt tension needs adjusting, too.

3. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

Turf Tiger uses a shaft to drive the deck. It's the Cub and Wildcat that use the belt.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked the air filter to make sure it isnt clogged from the mulched leaves?? maybe the engine is starved for air when under a load, just a guess

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Mite check your electric PTO cluch, may have burnt it. Dont know if you can adjust them

6. wrestlingcoach

i think it is the PTO clutch

we taking it to the shop assuming it is the clutch

is it an easy fix???

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont know if its easy fix on Turf tiger. I had to replace the cluch on a scag walk behind. Did it myself (about 20 min) & cost $154.00 for the new one. Your (if it needs to be replaced) surely costs more and with shaft drive, will be harder to replace.
    I wish you luck, hope it can just be adjusted.
    Is it still under warrenty?

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Check your belts, motor, spindles, & clutch, as everyone has said. If its your clutch it is a very easy fix. Should take no longer than 20 minutes. I think J thomas sells them for 200.

9. wrestlingcoach

i am looking in the parts manual and it looks like i take off a couple off bolts and replace the old clutch with a new one ---- it can't be that easy.??? i hope it is!

i know my 52" toro walk behind requires that you take off the motor to replace the clutch

10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Central Parts lists your clutch for 233.00

I expect the dealer will be about 300.00 Always bring engine down near idle when engaging or disengaging the blades as high rpm increases slipping and premature failure....Chuck