Whats wrong with Minute-mount?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by thelawnguy, Jan 19, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Seen a few comments about minute mount hookup, whats the prob? I have one, easiest thing ever, takes all of a minute to hook up or drop off. Doesnt seem to be going anywhere once its on the truck either.<p>Bill

2. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

i also have a minute mount and find it very easy to hookup and drop .you just have to make sure you push the lift ram down when you unhook so there is slack in the chain to push the head gearup to reconect.

3. Ray

Ray LawnSite Member

I don't know what the problem is. I just got done hooking mine up and no problems. It was even sitting off at an angle.<br>Ray

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Minute Mount Problems, Here they are.<p>If you put an Minute Mount on gravel, and the ground becomes unfrozen the plow sinks.<br>When the plow sinks it doesn't line up with the mounts on the truck, and that is where the problems starts.<p>If it starts snowing before you put the plow on the ground, which happens in a suprize storm. The snow raises the hight of the tires so the mounts don't line up again. Now if there is only an inch or less it isn't an issue, try 2 inches and thats a different story.<p>Basicly is the hight of the truck or plow changes, the mounts will not line up. Then you need to get out the jack, pry bars, and 6 big guys.<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

My buddy put a load of sand salt in his spreader and then when to mount his plow, HAHAHAHAHA no way front was 4&quot; higher than normal. And he stores it 500 feet form the shop. Guess what he did, ran all the sand out of the hopper, mounted the plow, and then shoveled the sand back in. <br>The problem is that when it doesnt hook up right, you have the entire weight of the plow, head gear and hydro to deal with, if you have an older style mount, you only have to jockey the blade.<br>On level ground, with the mounts lined up, it is a great thing. But when it goes wrong , oh boy. Like I ssaid we converted a min/mount to a convential type setup because it is easier to mount. <br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting problems - but here's what we do:<p>1. Don't put plows on soft ground, even the old style ones sink. We put them on pallets (even the minute mounts), then we can move them around the yard with a tow motor or skid steer.<p>2. I found that if you keep the highway carry chain tight after you make sure the headgear (triangle part) is all the way down, the minute mount stays where you put it. If you provide some slack afterwards you can rock the contact point a few inches up or down without much trouble. I just tried it - stand in front of plow and pull on triangle - as long as the jack can slide a little, the contact point raises up a few inches. Then push it back towards the truck and it lines up with the holes. This helps when you end up higher than when you parked.<p>3. We put the plows on concrete - either in an empty materials bin outside, or inside on the floor. Asphalt might allow sinkage in the summer.<p>Just my $.02<p> <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I think you should be able to store a plow on gravel, lawn, or anywhere. You shouldn't have to prepare a special area to store your plows. I store all my plows behind the shop in the summer, or slightly in the woods. I don't want them all in the way in the summer.<br>Even if the old style blade sinks a little you can use the lift are to pick it up, to the correct hight to hook up the plow.<p>Geoff

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I agree with Geoff.There is no reason why you should have to monkey with a plow just because its not on a level hard surface.But if you hate the minute mount just try a western uni mount. That engineer should be shot. <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

what is the main difference between a uni-mount and a minute mount? I just wonder how much more you can f--- up a plow mounting system. If fisher was smart they would have done what Dino did with his minute mount. Then customers could have had it both ways.<p>Geoff

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

To Geoff, I don't see your problem, maybe you didn't read the directions! You have to make sure the lift cylinder is down all the way, and after the pins are pulled back using the safety chain to hold the head gear in place. As for soft ground, I have 1 foot piece of 2X6 I put under the foot, and them throw it under the seat went I mount the plow. I do try to mount and unmount with my truck loaded the same. Guess you can't remember the good old days of crawling under the front of your truck after that suprise snow storm, trying to line up pins you couldn't see, with a plow that was frozen in the ground! Give me a minute mount any day.<br>Bill