1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what's wrong with my blower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassmasterswilson, Nov 20, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've got a stihl backpack blower that is not working properly. Hope anyone can help me. It is very hard to crank whether I choke it or not. I can pull and pull on the cord and eventually it will fire right up and run perfectly. I have started to switch out spark plugs when I am tired of pulling the cord and it seems to help sometime. when the choke is on i only pull the cord a couple of times to not flood it, and all i do is cut the switch on without giving it any throttle from the trigger. temperature doesn't seem to affect the starting. It seems to happen at just about every job. Any idea??
  2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Which Stihl? I have a br320 that has done that for a YEAR. Thought it was just getting old.
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

It is a BR420 stihl blower
  4. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I have a BR420 that has done the same thing. It did it brand new and I had to put a new plug in. It was like it was flooded. It did it this summer and I searched here and someone said remove the gas cap..I turned the gas cap and it was under alot of pressure. Started right up. Some of them have a problem venting, so if it does it, try loosing the cap to start. Hope this helps
  5. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I have the br320 and it does the same thing. Today at our last stop it would not start at all. I had just filled it with new gas (fuel tank pressure would not be the problem) It has done it all year. Its three to four years old and i change the plugs once a year. Maybe these model's are just bad.
  6. Bevsbedscapes

Bevsbedscapes LawnSite Member

We have A BR420 and it also tends to act up. We just got it out of the shop Yesterday because I was sick of messing with it....they said there was a chunk of something stuck somewhere (i forget where they said) as I was not to worried about where it was as long as it was now running right which it is!!
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the spark arrester screen for carbon....
  8. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

And you cannot flood a Stihl---it's a loop system that will drain excess gas/oil back to the fuel tank.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Check the air filter, they like to get soaked in fuel sometimes.
    Replace it while you're at it.

Maybe you and I don't flood them anymore, and maybe not the new 4-mix'rs, but on the 2-cyclers like the br-420 I am 100% certain it can be done.
  10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad magneto?