What's wrong with my Dixie?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 11, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

This Dixie Chopper is starting to irritate me. It will not dispurse the clippings very well. They come out the front part of the discharge okay.. but they come out in clumps at the rear most point of the discharge. Then when I double cut (in a different direction) to try and make the clippings disappear... they don't. I just have a "few" less clumps.

Is this common with a Dixie Chopper? Maybe it's the 72" deck?

The only way I can seem to make a lawn look decent is if I keep discharging all the clippings to the same direction. For example.. I cut a swath, then double back over that same swath, then cut a new swath, then double back over that same swath. Understand? This is the only way I can make the lawn look clean.

2. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

good question, i have the same problem, im using high-lift mulching blades. I am thing of switching to gators??

3. Lawn-Scapes

topgun.. what Dixie do you have?

I'm using the blades mine came with. I believe they are high lift. I tried using doubles with a gator and high lift combo but the grass is too thick.

I think gators would be worse for you.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I demo'd an XT3200-60 and had the same opinion. This was with standard lift blades. I used it for a day on many of my lawns. Some high growth some medium. Some damp some dry. I HATE the way it discharges in wet conditions! My lawns looked like crap. Usually they look awesome with my eXmark. I seriously thought I'd be getting complaint calls! I didn't have time to mow over the lawns again with my eXmark though.

I am NOT bashing Dixie's. I just think that you'd have to tinker with different blades, doubles, etc to get it to work satisfactorily for me.

5. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

anyone else have any ideas on a blade or blade combo

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2002 dixie 72"and I feel your pain. I have been having problems with some clumping like you in wet conditions. My biggest problem that irritates the %$#@ out of me it the $%#@ strip of uncut grass that is between the middle blade and the discharge blade. When the grass is tall or seeding it does it the worst. Otherwise its still noticible. Do you have this problem? It seems like most 72" silver deck owners do. As for the discharge problem I use high lift blades with gators on the top for the best results. It doesn't solve the problem but it helps.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tom, you must be cutting in some heavy grass there. Try raising the deck a click or 2 on your second pass.

TM, there is a nose baffle available from Dixie, free of charge, that addresses your problem. I do know they make 1 to fit the 60" decks but you will have to check on availability for 72" decks.

8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

RM, I already put the nose cone in and the new anti blow out baffles. The nose cose does nothing. Dixie wants us to cut the wipers (part of the baffles) out of the deck. This will make the stripping go away, wrong.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the deck pitch adjusted properly? Our XT3200 72 was leaving that strip and after adjustment it seems a lot better. I haven't had any problems with either of our XT3200 60", they are great machines.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Richard.. I am cutting some heavy grass for sure. Today I cut five of my fastest growing lawn. I had been cutting them at 4 1/4" but today I decided to try and knock 'em down to 3.5 inches. Oh my.. what a mistake! 5 acres with clippings everywhere :(

Can you tell me what double blade combo you are using (if you are at all)? What blades specifically? Are Exmark & Dixie blades interchangable? I would like to try notched foil high lifts.

Even when I cut lawns that are not so thick.. I get little balls of grass that come out the rear part of the discharge chute. Is this common? Is there something out of wack?