Whats wrong with my hydro?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my 48" '05 TTHP, I bought it new last year, only about 1.5 months ago it started having trouble with the first few accounts in the morning. The right side has a delay in the engage.

If I release the neutral clips and just hold the saftey down, when I bring it up from N to 1,2,3... the mower will turn heavly to the right at first.

I called my dealer and he said the grease fitting on the side must have got plugged with debris and was not allowing the grease I pumped into it to fully lube the hinge, so I dismantaled it and made sure it was fully lubed with fresh grease. I reassembled it and nothing changed. Which leads me to believe it is the hydro motor.

Any ideas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lawncuttinfoo,

Sounds like the hydro drive on that side is hanging-up. We need to figure out whether is your linkage or your pump??

Best bet is get it back to your dealer. I can also help you but you need to check a few things.

1: make sure the drive lever or drive rod didn't get bent.
    2: release thumb latch and ensure the drive rod is rotating freely, ball joints not sticking.
    3: unhook the drive lever rod from the drive lever. Move the drive lever to ensure that it is not sticking.
    4: grab the pump control weldment it should move freely axially. Move in and out.

If this all moves freely it is must likely the pump?
    Let me know if you have any questions, thanks Fred.

Fred Fugett
    Customer Service Representitive
    402-223-6270
    fred.fugett@exmark.com

3. lawncuttinfoo

Yes I wd-40ed all the moving parts in the chain of events and greased the zerk that is used. but what is the "pump control weldment"?

And I still had the issue.

Then, not even considering this issue I tried the "S" hook trick that was posted on another thread to ease up on the hand tension (another problem, I am getting very sore hands from the ECS)

If you did not read it, it basically says that placing aditional hook on the spring that activates the hydro will reduce the pressure needed to grip the handles.

Well, I did this with the mower off and with the s hook in palce the spring almost is completly limp when in Neutral. And when I push the control to "6" and give the handles full motion they can completly freely move with no sticking. But when I start the mower and attempt to put it into drive with this same set up the mower sits in one place like in the original problem. So I believe this is a round about way of testing the same thing as mentioned originally since the levers, rods and joints move so freely even with viturally no tension and the mower off. I would think if they were the cause of the problem I would surely see sticking in this setup, no?

4. eXmark

lawncuttinfoo,

The pump control arm is the part that has the grease fitting in it. That needs to move freely in and out. Did you check the items below or just lube them?This must be checked before be can move forward with this. These are all very common issues with sticking hydros.

Loosening the tension in the springs is going in the wrong direction.
    Are you using a riding attachment?

Fred.

5. lawncuttinfoo

Yes I unscrewed the side of the mower and moved the fitting every which way and it moves freely.

Yes I checked everything and it moves freely, that is until I turn on the mower and enguage the hydro.

Yes I have a proslide attached but I do not use it until the mower is already moving and prepared to travel at top speed which it is not when this problem is happening. This problem usually occurs for a few minutes at the first lawn of the day and a bit less at the next, and so on; before it fixes itself.

This is now starting to happen to the other hydro as well.

6. eXmark

lawncuttinfoo,

Can you please give me a call, I don't think we will get this one resolved on this forum. Thanks Fred.

402-223-6270